+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's now time to ditch your Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mats...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Arrow It's now time to ditch your Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mats...

...and fit the new best sounding option for the SL-1200/1210!

Gentlemen, I give you the Funk Firm Achromat ('1200')....

Over a year ago when I was testing various mats for my SL-1210, I tried an Achromat, and whilst it was good, ditched it in favour of the Herbie's/Sound Hi-Fi mat, which at the time seemed to make more sense of the music being played.

*However*, that was before Arthur K (someone whom I've always respected as a knowledgeable audio designer) made a new version of the Achromat which fits the lip on the platter properly of the SL-1200/1210....

It all came about because Arthur wanted me to listen to his new FXR tonearm, which he's sent me to evaluate (and which I will review on AoS in due course), so in conversation he told me about the new Achromat for the SL-1200/1210, and I asked him to send me a black version along with the FXR.

When using the 'special edition' Achromat, designed for the SL-1210, one immediately notices how snugly it fits the contour of the platter - it 'hugs' the edges very securely, creating a platform which optimally supports the full surface area of the record, ensuring that both record and mat correctly and securely interface with the platter.

To my mind it does this a little more effectively than the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat. What the Achromat achieves, too, is to dampen the platter more and remove the slight element of ringing that exists with the Sound Hi-Fi mat before a record is placed on the (stock) platter, and this together with the Achromat's classier appearance (its slightly shiny black surface really complimenting the glossy speckled finish of the 1210MK5G) inspires more confidence, thus giving overall greater user satisfaction.

However, all that pales into insignificnce when the Achromat is fitted and the needle hits the groove of your chosen record, in this instance Frank Sinatra's live set in Paris from 1962, an Original Master Recording from Mobile Fidelity.

The album starts with some gentle clapping from the audience and an introduction in French from Charles Aznavour, which then builds into a crescendo of clapping, as the musical accompaniment from the orchestra swells before Sinatra breaks into his first song 'Goody Goody'....

With the Achromat in place, the initial clapping has an acute vibrancy and a real sense of skin hitting skin, and Aznavour's voice is palpable and 'real' with a sonorous tone to his vocal delivery that combines to capture a sense of the venue, making one feel part of a genuine live performance - and when the band kicks in, and the sound swells with a venemous grumble, one can almost 'feel' the sense of the occasion before Sinatra's gentle honeyed tones envelop the room and set the stage for a memorable performance.

Switching to the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat, one is immediately aware of the initial clapping taking on a muted, 'thuddy' quality, as if the audience were suddenly wearing gloves, and Aznavour's voice that previously had sounded so palpable and 'real', was now somewhat reedy and metallic-like, almost as if a new microphone with a different tonal presentation had been substituted.

The band had also lost its joie de vivre, no doubt in small part due to the 'thickening effect' the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat imbued in the presentation of the recording, and so voices and instruments were stripped of their natural colour and vibrancy, all in all making for a poor facsimile of this live recording, and thus losing the realism and sense of occasion that the Achromat had previously so deftly reproduced.

Let me make this absolutely clear: the sonic presentation of these two mats is poles apart, and I was shocked and stunned at just how marked the difference in musical presentation was with my T/T when either mat was used, not to mention at the realisation that with the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat, I had been for the last year and a half listening to my records half-cocked!

One of course must allow for the fact that results will likely vary from system to system (or turntable to turntable), but I'm confident that the majority of people will achieve a significant sonic upgrade by changing to the Achromat, unless in certain instances the presentation of a turntable (and system) has been 'tuned' to accommodate the more muted sonic signature of the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat; in which case, don't blame the Achromat for simply telling the truth!

There is obviously something in the design of the Achromat which allows recordings on vinyl to 'breathe' and really come alive, which the Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mat stifles in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the latter is a still a good mat, but quite frankly the 'Achromat 1200'. specially designed for the SL1200/1210, makes it sound rather broken.

I can't wait to hear what the Achromat sounds like in conjunction with the copper mat, when I get one!!

For a technical explanation of the design of the Achromat, I would refer you to the Funk Firm website: http://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/achro.htm

All I will end by saying is if you really want to hear what's on your favourite records, then one of these babies is an absolute must. Quite simply, you will not spend a better £72 on your Techie - so buy with confidence!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Very interesting. Now what about an Achroplat for the Techie.
    Paul.

Lol - now *that* is a very interesting idea!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Guy.

I can't remember Marco. Do you use a clamp or not?

Hi Guy,

Yes, a Bruil one similar to this, which does a superb job:

Can't wait to hear what the Achromat sounds like in conjunction with the copper mat!

I suspect that's going to be quite a formidable combination to judge against the customised platter of Mike New's

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Marco, have you metamorphosised into Jimmy Hughes?

Look, the herbies mat is available in the US in different thicknesses and sizes for "normal" turntables as well as the techie. Primarily, the herbies can lighten the tone a little and restoring some neutrality to a big-n-beefy presentation, something many far eastern solid-plinth decks can have, including the current Techie's ancestors. Placed on top of the stuck-on Dual 701 mat, I found it made the sound slightly cleaner, but with the Thorens 125, it killed the sound, making everything too lean and "wimpish" to my tired old ears. As we discussed earlier, mats do have characteristics and really ought to be matched to the particular turntable in an ideal world.

I too have admired and respected Arthur's thinking over the years, although the execution of old PT products and the frailty of the Tarantella was off-putting to a dealer who preferred a quiet life

I'm sure the Achromat is an excellent piece of kit. Too expensive for me to try right now and I don't believe I have a dealer friend currently who could get me one (). Having a "mat" with a similar characteristic to vinyl seems to make sense and I wish you well in your rediscovery of your LP collection. In fact, I suspect the Techie sized version may even be good for other decks too, as the raised/thicker edge of many LP's may be better accommodated.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Hahaha... Yes, Jimmy is my hero - I've got a bottle of holy water next to the incoming mains supply for my hi-fi and have turned the Lockwoods back to front for a more 'natural' sound!

Having a "mat" with a similar characteristic to vinyl seems to make sense and I wish you well in your rediscovery of your LP collection. In fact, I suspect the Techie sized version may even be good for other decks too, as the raised/thicker edge of many LP's may be better accommodated.
    Indeed - I think that's where the main sonic benefits are achieved.

It's crazy to think I could've done this ages ago... You think you've got a really good sound going on, and then discover a big upgrade like this for the cost of a half-decent meal for two in a restaurant!

In reference to the latter from your post above, I also agree, and indeed this is what Arthur has said.

I'm now off to rediscover my record collection and top up the holy water!

Marco.

P.S I've been informed by Arthur that the 'Achromat 1200', as it is officially known, is in fact £72.
    Main System

I'm Hugo.

Marco's observations on the Herbie's mat coincide precisely with my own. I tried it, found that it resulted in an unacceptably overdamped feeling to the sound in comparison to my favoured SRM acrylic mat; and then I sold it to DSJR. I do have an Achromat that I bought for the KD-750 but I've not had much time to try it out, but I certainly shall give it a go on the Thorens TD124.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    and then I sold it to DSJR.
    ...who then sold it to me as part of the SL-150 deal... and now I feel all inadequate! Actually, I have an acrylic mat I use on my Planar 3 (whilst still waiting for an original LP12 ribbed rubber jobbie to come up on ebay...) so I may give that a go on the Techie...

Anyone want to buy a 4th hand Herbies mat? No, probably not!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

Let's see how many members that poor old mat can be passed round! Maybe it could be a forum mascot?!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast