+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Turntable (again)

I'm Hugo.

Default My New Turntable (again)

Hi Folks

Still shaking from my life changing encounter with a Thorens TD124, I have now sniped one off eBay. It's already in a reasonable plinth, said to be from a Martin Bastin design and fitted with an SME III, which I shall not keep. I hope to collect it in the middle of the week, then some fun begins (or rather will begin once the puppies stop chewing the stereo system and it can be brought back into use).

That's not the turntable - that's Stanley, the puppy I'm keeping. Turntable pics will follow in due course.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Still shaking from my life changing encounter with a Thorens TD124
    I look forward to seeing and hearing about your new deck Hugo. What do you think was the secret of the one you heard? I do love the TD124. And the combination of belt and idler is an interesting one. Bring on the pics I say!

PS. Cute puppy
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    What do you think was the secret of the one you heard? I do love the TD124. And the combination of belt and idler is an interesting one. Bring on the pics I say!

PS. Cute puppy
    The TD124 had such an open, natural, expressive and propulsive musical feeling, which left my Kenwood sounding very dull in comparison. As you know, I have a Lenco L75 too, but that needs reassembling and putting in a plinth. I have had a quote from Russ Collinson for the plinth, which is reasonable. I do reckon that the Lenco will be great, when I get round to finishing it.

The TD124 that I have bought is missing its alloy platter cover and the Thorens hard rubber/plastic mat, which clearly work very well if my mate's deck is anything to go by. In the first instance I'll have to use the glass mat that's on the deck, or maybe an Achromat that I have already; however I shall look out for the missing parts to bring it back to standard fettle. I also need to research the "Martin Bastin Design" plinth (a DIY job, rather than being built by Dr Bastin).

Playing my Kenwood at the London Bake-Off Show proved to me that it's nice, inoffensive but not good enough. I used to love it, so maybe it's ill. I do reckon that if I'd had the TD124 there, we could have had some stunning sounds. That said, Ben's PL-71 with a Decca cartridge up front sounded pretty good!

I'm Nick.

I didn't catch your Kenwood unfortunately, but the Garrard in the massive plinth sounded great! To be honest the standard of all the gear I heard was really good. I guess that if you've balls enough to bring something to a bake-off, it's gotta be pretty good!

I'll be posting up some pictures of yesterday's shenanigans and a few more thoughts later...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Hugo

I have a nice Lenco G88/99 solid beech plinth that may well work with your GL75?

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=3918.0

Regards

Roger
    Roger.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
    Hugo

I have a nice Lenco G88/99 solid beech plinth that may well work with your GL75?

Regards

Roger
    Could you post or PM me a picture of it?

I'm Hugo.

Default Gratuitous TD124 Pictures

Just finished fitting the Ittok LVII to my TD124 Mk 2, using a lovely Brazilian Cherry armboard, supplied by eBay USA seller jec965 (very highly recommended). Here it is, with the ESCo retipped AT33PTG slung up front:

There is more noise from the idler wheel than I'm happy with, so I have a new one coming from a chap in the USA. Other than that, it's sounding good, but it will sound a whole lot better with the new tonearm. I shall tidy up the solid plinth and have it sprayed black, since the ply is not that wonderful.

I started this thread with a picture of my puppy Stanley. He's now 5 months old:

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
    Hugo

Regards

Roger
    If Shuggie does not want it I would be interested.

I'm Andy.

Wow, what breed is Stanley?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Wow, what breed is Stanley?
    His father is a red Lakeland Terrier. His mother is three quarters Jack Russell and one quarter Norfolk Terrier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast