+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripping Guide

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Default Copying - change in UK law from June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Good work John - one point I would make though is that you need to keep the original CDs if you want to stay legal with copywrite - technically if you no longer own the CD you shouldn't keep the ripped version.
    I found Alex's post and thought it may be of interest to share some information about a change in UK law relating to copying and backing up music.

Strictly speaking, prior to 1st June 2014, it has been illegal to make copies of music, even for personal use. However, that has changed.

From 1st June 2014, there were changes to the UK law relating to the copying of copyright works for personal use (doesn't apply to computer programs). Insofar as music is concerned, it is now legal for a person to copy/rip music for backing up purposes or to format shift (e.g. rip a CD to a FLAC / WAV / MP3 files) so long as:

1) it is strictly for personal use, and

2) the person making the copy permanently owns a legitimate version of the source material being copied.

If the person disposes of or sells the original legitimate source, all copies held by that person must be deleted / destroyed.

Some CDs and DVDs have copyright protection mechanisms to prevent ripping. It will remain illegal to break such mechanisms BUT there is a provision in the new legislation (at least in the draft - check first) that provides recourse in cases where the "restrictive measure" by the copyright owner "unreasonably prevents" copying for personal use. [Personal view: in theory, this means record companies won't be able to refuse reasonable requests to allow copying by operating blanket ("fettering") policies to maintain the status quo].

The law remains substantively unchanged in respect of sharing (even to relatives) - that remains illegal. The DRAFT legislation (there have been some amendments since, so beware!), along with some guides giving an overview, are currently on the website of the Intellectual Property Office:

www.ipo.gov.uk/copyright-exceptions.htm

In particular:

Consumer guides : www.ipo.gov.uk/copyright-guidance-consumers.pdf

The DRAFT regulations* : www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2014/9780111112700

* amending the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

There endeth a nice, jolly, light post for a Sunday morning .
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    Some CDs and DVDs have copyright protection mechanisms to prevent ripping. It will remain illegal to break such mechanisms BUT there is a provision in the new legislation (at least in the draft - check first) that provides recourse in cases where the "restrictive measure" by the copyright owner "unreasonably prevents" copying for personal use. [Personal view: in theory, this means record companies won't be able to refuse reasonable requests to allow copying by operating blanket ("fettering") policies to maintain the status quo].

The law remains substantively unchanged in respect of sharing (even to relatives) - that remains illegal. The DRAFT legislation (there have been some amendments since, so beware!), along with some guides giving an overview, are currently on the website of the Intellectual Property Office:

www.ipo.gov.uk/copyright-exceptions.htm

In particular:

Consumer guides : www.ipo.gov.uk/copyright-guidance-consumers.pdf

The DRAFT regulations* : www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2014/9780111112700

* amending the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

There endeth a nice, jolly, light post for a Sunday morning .
    I wonder what that means for those such as myself who have hardware with SACD ripping capabilities; I'm referring of course to a PS3 and the scarlet/ hi-res layer of SACDs. As Szell asks, 'Is it safe'?
    Analogue
    Technics 1210GR (AT-VM95ML)>Rega Aria mk2>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy

Digital Stereo
    Bluesound Node 2i>Chord Qutest>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy

Digital Surround
    (f): OPPO 103D>Marantz NR1510>Teddy Pardo i80a>Tannoy Eaton Legacy
    (r): OPPO 103D>Marantz NR1510>Kralk Audio BC-30
    (c): no centre
    (s): no sub

Other
    Headphones :Sennheiser HD650
    Equipment Stands: Mana Acoustics

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Well, only 4 months later... .

In my (non lawyer) opinion, I suspect the correct route to rip SACD in accordance with the law would be this:

1) wannabe ripper (WR) contacts the record company and expressly asks for permission to rip for personal use.

2) if the record company refuses without good reason (highly probable), WR contacts the Intellectual Property Office and asks for help.

3) several years later, an "amicable agreement" is reached between the IPO and the record industry.

4) in the meantime, someone has finally found a way to (easily) crack SACDs and everyone who is interested is already doing it in any case.

5) in the meantime (2): the cunning record industry have come up with another method of copy protection, stating it complies with UK law when, quite obviously, it doesn't. At this point, if we're still alive, it's back to "2)" above...

I am not cynical. Merely realistic....
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Grant.

Fortunately I dont buy many cd's and the ones I do buy have not been affected....so far......stick with vinyl lads
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    Well, only 4 months later... .

In my (non lawyer) opinion, I suspect the correct route to rip SACD in accordance with the law would be this:

1) wannabe ripper (WR) contacts the record company and expressly asks for permission to rip for personal use.

2) if the record company refuses without good reason (highly probable), WR contacts the Intellectual Property Office and asks for help.

3) several years later, an "amicable agreement" is reached between the IPO and the record industry.

4) in the meantime, someone has finally found a way to (easily) crack SACDs and everyone who is interested is already doing it in any case.

5) in the meantime (2): the cunning record industry have come up with another method of copy protection, stating it complies with UK law when, quite obviously, it doesn't. At this point, if we're still alive, it's back to "2)" above...

I am not cynical. Merely realistic....

There are 6 billion people on the planet, are the copyright police knocking on your door? Think not, what a load of nonsense.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's the fuse Police that'll get you in the end, though....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's the fuse Police that'll get you in the end, though....

Marco.
    Eh!
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Krasimir.

Default How to copy wav to another hdd

I have a practical question. Explanation first. It is common knowledge that wav files copied from a CD to a hdd do not perform well, unless ripped by special software. But is this valid also when you need to move wavs from one hdd to another? I am generally being told it is. To check, I copy-pasted several wav files with the Windows file manager from one hdd to another. Then listened to all of them (on the new hdd) carefully. Surprisingly for me, they all played well (through Stan's Asynch-1) and did not show any abnormality. No interruptions, no pops, no other noise. Found no difference in sound quality from the initial ones. But should I really take this to be generally valid? Or, to ask the question properly: is it OK to transfer wavs from one hdd to another by simple copy-paste, or do you need to use special software, like when you need to make an exact copy of a bootable hdd?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm Petar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jankoff View Post
    ... is it OK to transfer wavs from one hdd to another by simple copy-paste, or do you need to use special software...?
    The short answer is yes, you can copy wavs using copy-paste and you don't need any specific software. You need special software only when ripping files from CD.
    RPi2/HiFiBerryDigi+; ZyXEL NSA310; Beresford Caiman MKII; Creek Evo 2; ProAc Studio 115; BK XXLS400; MS Audio/Klotz MC5000, VD UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi

I'm Krasimir.

Quote Originally Posted by drpetar View Post
    The short answer is yes, you can copy wavs using copy-paste and you don't need any specific software. You need special software only when ripping files from CD.
    Merci, благодаря, thank you.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast