+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Ripping Guide

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I've had occasional issues with CDs not ripping properly.
    Sometimes a clean with glass polish helps.
    Sometimes a polish up with duraglit helps - you need to polish radially if you do this.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Marc.

This is a fantastic tool for helping tame unruly digital collections.

http://picard.musicbrainz.org/

My collection is quite well organised but it turns out there are quite a few stray tags messing things around (for instance some artists had been tagged using 'and' and some '&' which was causing issues for MPD/Mopidy).

This has just allowed me to go through the whole lot and quite straightforwardly sort it right out. Highly recommended.

I'm John.

I've browsed through some of the information in this thread, and am wondering if there are any worthwhile, up to date, Rip options to be considered in 2018.
    I've just set up my first stand alone DAC, and have the option to carry on with the Cambridge Azur 540 CD Player as the replay device, purchase a dedicated CD Transport, or Rip CD,s and Store FLAC File Downloads on a Stand alone Storage Set Up and replay direct from this device.
    Is there a method of creating a replay direct from a Stand alone storage Device that can equal a CD Players Sound Quality ?
    I have began my investigations into streaming, and for the sake of keeping the initial costs down, I will start with the Laptop and work my way on from this set up.
    I am a novice at this type of tech talk, so will require time to process any replies.

I'm Matt.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, You could always just rip some CD's to your laptop on FLAC, connect that to your DAC & then compare the sound quality from your CDP vs a ripped version stored on your laptop going through the same DAC. So the differences you hear would be down to the storage.
    If you decided that you liked the ripped version, you could then buy a NAS drive, which is a digital storage device left permanently switched on & wired to your router. With a laptop, you will only be able to access your music if it is powered up & sometimes that may be inconvenient?
    If you decide to go that far, then you could always compare the same album from a quality streaming source eg Tidal HiFi, vs ripped vs CD (& even vs LP if you really want to) to get a grip on your preferences. The only thing is that you must ensure you are listening to the same version of a song on all the methods, ie not selecting a remastered or remixed version on Tidal, vs the original release on CD etc.

I'm John.

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes you have read it correct, and the idea of a NAS, is of consideration, as I have a lot of FLAC Music Files,
    as well as 100's of 30MP photograph files on my Laptop that I need back up for a safe storage as well.
    Hence my holding off on streaming, while I get to grips with this method being discussed.
    When this is in order, I will then venture into Streaming, and will hopefully have had a little hands on experience by then.
    The question in my mind following your reply, is from the NAS a router is suggested, does a router have a effect on the SQ when being used with music files.

I'm Veiko.

Hello! I started wondering about CD ripping programs since I have been ripping my music library to higher bitrate for few days now.
    I have read from this forum, that dBPoweramp is a recommended program for this job. However - I have been doing it
    with Windows Media Player. I would like to ask - would you consider this or would that be a definite no-no ?

Also - for bigger quality, what would be the thing to look for the most, buying a new optical drive? (in which to rip)

I know a lot of people would say, that use just what sounds good to you, but it is difficult for me to evaluate quality, since different playback devices and methods also come to play.
    However, I am willing to listen to my mp3-s with Chromecast Audio, and Google play music. But that might change at one point.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansiiro View Post
    Hello! I started wondering about CD ripping programs since I have been ripping my music library to higher bitrate for few days now.
    Any particular reason why you are ripping the discs to a higher bitrate?

I'm Veiko.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Any particular reason why you are ripping the discs to a higher bitrate?
    Well - I don't find it convenient enaugh to constantly flip CD-s in and out of the CD-player. Thats why I use mp3-s (google play music, chromecast).
    My mp3-files are created a long time ago, when the file size was more of an issue, and hence many of them had the low bitrate of 128.
    To answer your question - it is my understanding, that the higher is the bitrate, the higher is the sound quality of the file, since it is closer to "lossless".
    Bitrate I use now is 320. I am not making lossless, because then I feel like it would be too much data to stream.
    May be you can persuade me that I am misunderstanding something?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If I were you and I was ripping my collection again I would rip to a lossless format like WAV or FLAC then you would never have to rip anything again. Keep this as your master library and then you can convert into anything you want from there, using something like dBpoweramp.

If you don't do this and rip to a lossy format again, then you later decide that you want to take your sound a step further than 320 kbps .mp3, you'll have to rip your collection again, which seems a crazy thing to keep doing. Batch converting from a lossless file library using something like dBpoweramp is very simple. Having a lossless master library covers all your bases for whatever format or bitrate you would like to use in the future.

In answer to your original question, I personally wouldn't be using Windows Media Player to rip anything.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

Agree with Tim. Rip to flac via a decent library program. Jriver or the like. Get the metadata right too. It will add covers but you can also add a cover pic to each folder and call each. folder.jpg.
    This should work well later.
    As he says you then have a master library which you should copy to at least one external drive and keep safe. It can be updated if needed every few months.
    Then if you want MP3 stuff jriver or others will convert you a copy without altering master.
    Might sound like extra work but it's not much and you will appreciate it later
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast