+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How the current economic situation might impact on product availability in the UK

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I just love the thread drift in this place!

Marco.
    Like some sort of tightrope act here. Doesn't take much to sway a bit does it?

---//---
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 15-07-2008 at 22:18.
    Well, hello.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck (Stereonow) View Post
    Like some sort of tightrope act here. Doesn't take much to sway a bit does it?

---//---
    Not in the least Howard.

This place has a tendency, at times, to go off on more tangents than a geometry teacher on psycho-active drugs! (Hmm, I'm sure I've said that before )

Cheers,
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Howard.

Must make a mental note to chill out about these things. Gave myself a savage beating until I confessed that it really was awright to deviate on forums. It's supposed to be fun I guess. Looked up 'fun' in the dictionary. Read the words but couldn't figure out what they meant. Concluded I must currently be funless. No such word but it'll do. Sons told me to get a life. Looked on eBay. All the good ones have gone. Phoned Samaritans. Would you Adam & Eve It? Engaged! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sick / bored of seeing my name as a thread starter on the forum Make note to take a back seat for a few days. Let others get a look in. Seems only fair.

Worried sick about Amy Whitehouse - not. Triumph of marketing over mediocrity, like Bjork, Sinnead O'connor, Elvis bloody Costello, any boy band, any girlie band. Err, that's it.

---//---
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 15-07-2008 at 22:30.

Jeez Howard, if you keep on like that you are going to end up like me...

Getting back to economics: I was speaking to someone I have known for many years about the current problems in his country, the US, and how he is taking on the down turn. He owns a rather large hardware store and has resorted to INCREASE his stock level of fast moving items. At the same time he dropped his margins slightly below his competitors. Every night he takes some stock off the slow movers and puts them in the warehouse. The trick appears to work and he is busier than any similar business in his neighbourhood.

Must make a mental note to chill out about these things. Gave myself a savage beating until I confessed that it really was awright to deviate on forums. It's supposed to be fun I guess. Looked up 'fun' in the dictionary. Read the words but couldn't figure out what they meant. Concluded I must currently be funless. No such word but it'll do. Sons told me to get a life. Looked on eBay. All the good ones have gone. Phoned Samaritans. Would you Adam & Eve It? Engaged! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sick / bored of seeing my name as a thread starter on the forum Make note to take a back seat for a few days. Let others get a look in. Seems only fair.

Worried sick about Amy Whitehouse - not. Triumph of marketing over mediocrity, like Bjork, Sinnead O'connor, Elvis bloody Costello, any boy band, any girlie band. Err, that's it.

---//---
    I dunno, Howard. I've always thought Elvis Costello is pretty bloody brilliant. And I would have thought that if all he'd ever done was Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom.

Tim

Howard,

This is a lesson perhaps in knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing; how do we ascertain value regarding hi-fi without using our ears and music?

It is also a lesson of knowing that if something seems too good to be true then it almost certainly is.

A Ferrari for a grand is one to avoid but this is no way the same as an amplifier for a grand that may actually be better than one for say, five times the price.

As for your thread starting, it is certainly the most creative and thought-provoking we've seen on this forum without actually trolling.

I'm not going to stop you!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

If you were offered say a diamond for £5.00 or a Ferrari for £1,000 or a Leica M3 for £87.46 - would you seriously consider it? Let's forget all about the qualifying comments, investigations etc. Just think of it this way - advert for a road-going Ferrari for £1,000. Would you really really take it seriously?

---//---
    I should have added 'within reason' to my post. Obviously a £9.99 CD player is never going to be hi-fi and a £200 amplifier will never be high end, but my Mac and DAC combo has comfortably beaten my MF combo (A3.5 & Tri-Vista) for a heck of a lot less money. The same applies in a lot of cases (but not all) and sometimes really high end sound is only a tweak or two away in a modest component.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Very droll. I subscribe to deviancy when it's that funny ! How do you sleep at night with all these innovative thread-starting ideas rattling around in your grey matter?

Worried sick about Amy Whitehouse - not. Triumph of marketing over mediocrity, like Bjork, Sinnead O'connor, Elvis bloody Costello, any boy band, any girlie band. Err, that's it. (QUOTE)

I wonder if girl bands in the U.S. are called broad bands?

Keep up the good work.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Very droll. I subscribe to deviancy when it's that funny ! How do you sleep at night with all these innovative thread-starting ideas rattling around in your grey matter?
    Strangely, the reverse is true and I kid you not, sleeping 15 hours during a 24 period is far from hard and sometimes hard to resist. Re occupation when asleep, yesterdays post on my blog site re what is for me a wonderful and inspirational mental aberration - Lucid dreaming - can be read here: http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/?p=3024

Not a learned technique apparently. Just how the mental cards are dealt at conception I guess.

(QUOTE)
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Jeez Howard, if you keep on like that you are going to end up like me...

Getting back to economics: I was speaking to someone I have known for many years about the current problems in his country, the US, and how he is taking on the down turn. He owns a rather large hardware store and has resorted to INCREASE his stock level of fast moving items. At the same time he dropped his margins slightly below his competitors. Every night he takes some stock off the slow movers and puts them in the warehouse. The trick appears to work and he is busier than any similar business in his neighbourhood.
    What makes this post so interesting to me is that in all probability his innovative and clearly effective technique might well have been derived from first principles. I say this because as a 'student' of all aspects of retail marketing and boosting the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index), I have not heard of this approach. Thank you.

--//--
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast