+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox forum

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    1.Yes.
    2.Yes.
    3.Yes. Just hook your hard drive or pc or whatever is supplying the music in digital form into the usb port on the back of the Touch. Then, use either the rca or toslink connectors to connect the Touch to.the external dac of your choice. Connect the dac to the amp/receiver of your choice,and Bob is your relative!
    I love Bob already... By the way, who is Bob? Thanks Ali. You have unlocked the secrets of the universe.Looking forward to the streamlined approach.
    Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    If you are using an external HDD->USB in of Touch, seemingly it is best that the external HDD should have its own power supply and not draw it from USB port on Touch...

I have used a few DAC's with SB3 and Touch via coax and toslink (I use a small file server with SqueezeBox Server installed for storage) and it has always been straight plug and play...
    I guess the whole separate power supply issue is the next hurdle to clear. How does one achieve that? Is the USB powering the computer hard drive by default? Clarification here is needed and appreciated. Thank you all.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Poor souls. Swapping good sync for asynch.
    Hello Stan. I'm Mike, pleased to make your acquaintance. Is there a specific place on AoS I can go to read your musings? I need to catch up. It's nice to talk to experts, that's what I appreciate most about places like this. I like to hang out where knowledge is freely exchanged. If I have anything I can contribute in that vein (knowledge; of what I'm unsure) I certainly will. Thanks again.

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I think also that the USB drive needs to be formatted FAT32, not NTFS, which is a pain.
    Now we're talking mods, right? Good thing these postings won't evaporate into thin air, I'm going a little too fast for my reasoning to catch up. If by and large I can get plug and play from Ali's suggestions, how do these mods figure into my plan? Improved sound, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhigh View Post
    I guess the whole separate power supply issue is the next hurdle to clear. How does one achieve that? Is the USB powering the computer hard drive by default? Clarification here is needed and appreciated. Thank you all.
    You can use an external HDD (with it's own power supply rather than taking power from USB of Touch) with the Touch, put your music on external HDD, plug it into USB port of Touch and use the Touch's own server to scan music on external HDD, also by connecting the Touch to router and you can use the Touch's server to stream music from your external HDD to those devices, I think it can copy with 2 additional devices...

A list of devices that are know to work with the Touch's USB can be found Here
    Last edited by jbloggs; 19-10-2010 at 14:16.
    Alister

Logitech Touch->Mark Grant 1000HD Digital Coax->Audio-GD DAC-19MK3->Mark Grant 2000HD Phono->Roksan Kandy K2 (int amp)->Van Damme Studio Grade Blue Speaker Cable 2 x 4mm->PMC DB1S+

I'm mike.

Talking re: list

Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    You can use an external HDD (with it's own power supply rather than taking power from USB of Touch) with the Touch, put your music on external HDD, plug it into USB port of Touch and use the Touch's own server to scan music on external HDD, also by connecting the Touch to router and you can use the Touch's server to stream music from your external HDD to those devices, I think it can copy with 2 additional devices...

A list of devices that work with the Touch's USB can be found Here
    Is this an exhaustive list? If I need a hard drive to load, I ought to be able to go to the computer store and consult with sales folk about compatability, eh? Then, at the computer store I should have a wide range of hard drives to choose from and expert advise with which to make my choice of HDD, eh?

I'm Clive.

Is this an exhaustive list? If I need a hard drive to load, I ought to be able to go to the computer store and consult with sales folk about compatability, eh? Then, at the computer store I should have a wide range of hard drives to choose from and expert advise with which to make my choice of HDD, eh?
    The list in the link simply show drives that people have tried. Most "should" work but I suppose the Touch is not a general purpose computer so the disk driver won't have the amount of testing PC drivers get.

Also, if the disk is powered from the USB port the Touch only likes disks that conform to the USB standard for power. Some disks want more power than the USB spec, these don't work with the Touch. Hence the general advice to use self-powered disks or disks plugged into an active hub.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I love Bob already... By the way, who is Bob? Thanks Ali. You have unlocked the secrets of the universe.Looking forward to the streamlined approach.
    Hi Michael,
    "Bob's your uncle" is just a saying we have over here that we say after explaining how to do something not too difficult step by step.
    As for hard drive query,obviously you need an external one that has it's own power supply. I use a Drobo, which works just fine, though I am going to look for a mini fanless pc I can use to fun Squeezecenter as from what I read this can improve sound quality,but were I you I wouldn't worry about that yet unless you intend to run the Touch from your existing pc,in which case just connect the Touch to your pc with an ethernet cable. Otherwise,buy an independantly powered hard drive or NAS such as the Drobo, download your music to it, and connect directly to the Touch via usb. The Touch will then automatically scan the music for you (leave it alone while it does this!). The music will then be ready to play. If you have a smartphone,you can use it to control the Touch and browse your playlists by downloading the relevant app. Ipeng for the Iphone, or Squeezecommander if you have an android phone like me.

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Hi Michael,
    "Bob's your uncle" is just a saying we have over here that we say after explaining how to do something not too difficult step by step.
    As for hard drive query,obviously you need an external one that has it's own power supply. I use a Drobo, which works just fine, though I am going to look for a mini fanless pc I can use to fun Squeezecenter as from what I read this can improve sound quality,but were I you I wouldn't worry about that yet unless you intend to run the Touch from your existing pc,in which case just connect the Touch to your pc with an ethernet cable. Otherwise,buy an independantly powered hard drive or NAS such as the Drobo, download your music to it, and connect directly to the Touch via usb. The Touch will then automatically scan the music for you (leave it alone while it does this!). The music will then be ready to play. If you have a smartphone,you can use it to control the Touch and browse your playlists by downloading the relevant app. Ipeng for the Iphone, or Squeezecommander if you have an android phone like me.
    Man, thanks a million. This is all the necessary info, bar none. As I said earlier, this is all so very new to me, and in one fell swoop, you and Clive have convinced me I'm not too far away from maximum quality, and that the async crowd are probably barking up the wrong tree. I can already hear an improvement having ripped my CD's to flac in MediaMonkey, and if I can get it to play nice with the other devices I'm well-set. Brilliant, perhaps easy for you, but I am always ready to learn. Much thanks. I will no doubt refer back to these posts many times to make sure I have it right!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It's all pretty new to me too! Lots of peeps on here to help though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast