+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox forum

I'm mike.

Talking Squeezebox forum

I've got a question for the Squeezebox Touch-DAC crowd... I was just visiting the Logitech forum for grins and it seemed like a good lot of people there were struggling with the process of mating their Touches with DAC's. Is this confusion common? It seems like everyone here is operating with confusion-less ease. Am I naive to think that this is a plug-and-play situation? It seemed over there that the main guy, John Swenson, was getting tired of walking these neophytes though the options of getting this thing up and running. Can those in the know shed some light on what I witnessed? There is an actual thread over there called "Connecting a Touch to an external DAC", as if it's brain surgery or something. If this is too hairy I might just beg off the sweat. Thanks in advance for insight.
    Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The Touch can operate as a self contained entity - it can run its' own server client (TinySC), although it's a bit limited compaired to a PC/Mac/Intelligent NAS solution.

Touch also has a USB connection.

John Swenson is probably getting a bit steamed due to the number of people trying to get the Touch to output digital stream via the USB, just because the folk concerned have heard of asynchronous USB/DAC interfacing.

Hook the Touch up via S/PDIF (either the RCA or Toslink outputs will do) to an external DAC and enjoy the results - life is too short to obsess about whether your connection is asynchronous or not.

Just for the record, I have a Caiman DAC, which is connected to a SB3 (Squeezebox Classic) - it sounds excellent !

I also have an EMU 0202, which connects via what I believe is an asynchronous USB connection - it too sounds excellent.

Which do I prefer from a sonic ability POV ?

I don't.

The Caiman sits between my SB3/DVD Player/Sky+ box, so it sees the most useage.

The EMU 0202 sees usage when I'm transcribing vinyl records - that's about it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The Touch can operate as a self contained entity - it can run its' own server client (TinySC), although it's a bit limited compaired to a PC/Mac/Intelligent NAS solution.

Touch also has a USB connection.

John Swenson is probably getting a bit steamed due to the number of people trying to get the Touch to output digital stream via the USB, just because the folk concerned have heard of asynchronous USB/DAC interfacing.

Hook the Touch up via S/PDIF (either the RCA or Toslink outputs will do) to an external DAC and enjoy the results - life is too short to obsess about whether your connection is asynchronous or not.

Just for the record, I have a Caiman DAC, which is connected to a SB3 (Squeezebox Classic) - it sounds excellent !

I also have an EMU 0202, which connects via what I believe is an asynchronous USB connection - it too sounds excellent.

Which do I prefer from a sonic ability POV ?

I don't.

The Caiman sits between my SB3/DVD Player/Sky+ box, so it sees the most useage.

The EMU 0202 sees usage when I'm transcribing vinyl records - that's about it.
    So, tell me if I got this right. Here's three scenarios: 1)Can I send the Touch out to the DAC then out of the DAC to an aux in on a receiver? 2)Can I send my computer USB out to the Touch in and then out the Touch to a DAC then out to a receiver? 3)Can I do both at the same time? If so, what are the best methods of hookup? I'm so new to PC audio, I've been doing conventional analog setups for decades. Right now I'm not displeased with my conventional setup from computer sound card to receiver, out to speakers. I have a good ear and chances are I would benefit from the DAC, not to mention mods and tweaks...(I ain't EVEN ready for that sticky wicket yet). So,...?
    Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

1.Yes.
    2.Yes.
    3.Yes. Just hook your hard drive or pc or whatever is supplying the music in digital form into the usb port on the back of the Touch. Then, use either the rca or toslink connectors to connect the Touch to.the external dac of your choice. Connect the dac to the amp/receiver of your choice,and Bob is your relative!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Or,you could also use the analogue outs on the back of the Touch into an amp direct,thereby using the Touch's internal dac. Choice is yours!

If you are using an external HDD->USB in of Touch, seemingly it is best that the external HDD should have its own power supply and not draw it from USB port on Touch...

I have used a few DAC's with SB3 and Touch via coax and toslink (I use a small file server with SqueezeBox Server installed for storage) and it has always been straight plug and play...
    Alister

Logitech Touch->Mark Grant 1000HD Digital Coax->Audio-GD DAC-19MK3->Mark Grant 2000HD Phono->Roksan Kandy K2 (int amp)->Van Damme Studio Grade Blue Speaker Cable 2 x 4mm->PMC DB1S+

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Poor souls. Swapping good sync for asynch.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
    If you are using an external HDD->USB in of Touch, seemingly it is best that the external HDD should have its own power supply and not draw it from USB port on Touch...

I have used a few DAC's with SB3 and Touch via coax and toslink (I use a small file server with SqueezeBox Server installed for storage) and it has always been straight plug and play...
    I think also that the USB drive needs to be formatted FAT32, not NTFS, which is a pain.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Pretty sure mine is NTFS Clive, I'll check tonight. Maybe the Touch works with either.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Pretty sure mine is NTFS Clive, I'll check tonight. Maybe the Touch works with either.
    I should have double checked....you're right!

So ignore my incorrect comment.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Compatibility
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast