+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's just say...

I'm mike.

Talking Let's just say...

I'm ready for a new system, something that isn't a mix of home stereo and pro audio. I'm after a dedicated 2 channel rig with CD's on PC, Squeezebox, and AM/FM/HD tuner as sources, DAC, amp (any combination of pre/power, receiver, or integrated) and speakers (stereo and sub) for back end, the basic anti-vintage rig. That said, I'm considering the new Yamaha components, and I'm here to learn all about lossless and DAC's. I have MediaMonkey and 300+ CD-to-flac rips. Any speakers that are low power/high efficiency price winners, anyone? I want to only spend $400 average per component per month till I have a reasonably complete rig without anybody's used sloppy seconds. I want to open some boxes and mail in some warranty cards. So, used is out. I have various systems of mixed format mumbojumbo, I want an all-new and more modern-type rig this time around. I need individual suggestions for the main components, in the most minimal-type setup. This is really to prove to myself that the audio industry hasn't been sitting on its collective ass for the last 40 years. I'm ready to hear music like never before with better source quality, modern streaming capability, and no-frills sonic quality. I have various ideas, I have no idea how the synergy will happen but I'm really getting a cool list of possibles to consider. Now if only I can find out how and if they'll play together nice, or if I can get better advice from anyone here. Let's GET IT ON!!!
    Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

I'm mike.

Talking michaelhigh's new system

Here are some early contenders: Squeezebox Duet (server/internet radio), Audiosource 5's (powered speakers), Sony XDRF1-HD AM/FM/HD tuner (highly recommended), Yamaha A-S500/T-S500 integrated/tuner, Beresford TC-7520 "Caiman" DAC, that's about all I got right now. Can't wait for the Brit contingent to pipe up, I need the international flavor. What's better at the $400 USD per unit price point? Thanks all.

I'm Steve.

Have a look at a Rotel RA-04 integrated amp only 40watts and at around 250 quid new,is in your budget, even has a phono stage, but no remote.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Squeezebox Touch will play 24/96 natively - Duet will not (24/48 max).
    The Touch also has better S/PDIF than the Duet.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

What about something that could cut down on the number of boxes and is generating a lot of buzz? The Audiolab 8200 CD - (CD Player and DAC combined) or the 82000 CDQ (CD Player, DAC and pre-amp combined?)

Couple of threads on here to check out:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7859
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7287

And some info from the company at www.audiolab.co.uk

But before going too far, not sure if there is a 110v version or US distribution? I do think this will be a massively successful line of products, though, relative to the massively shrinking customer base...

EDIT: "Yes" re US distribution according to their website, not much info on the new 8200 range though.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm told that the quality of streaming radio czan be better than FM, but this is in the UK, where severe compression and "brick walling" is the order of the day.

Have a look at some active speakers too as, if budget is tight, this would save you a load of money and probably sound better too .
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Michaelhigh

You’ve certainly got lots of kit. Having had “lots of kit” myself not that long ago and having recently had a major clear out and transferred to file based audio I can’t recommend it highly enough.
    AoS, as you have probably noticed, has its fair share of vintage eye candy loving audiophiles.
    I have no doubt that there are some great sounding systems in amongst all those shiny boxes.
    My point is, does one need all that kit to provide a satisfactory music listening experience?
    My belief is that at a certain point the tweaking, the upgrades give such a marginal difference/improvement (?) in sound for the expense and trouble it just isn’t worth it.
    There are always going to be those who are prepared to go to great lengths to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their wallets and kit but I have always had a sneaking suspicion that some of these audiophiles are exactly that rather than music lovers.

The bad news is not much has happened within the Hi Fi industry in the past 40 years.
    A good amp from the 70’s say is still a good amp today; the basic design of an amplifier hasn’t really changed be it valve or solid state.

Imo the only major change in this time period has been choice of source; the most recent being file based audio. Despite what the analogue enthusiast may claim, you can get excellent sound from file based audio and in theory the possibility of surpassing any source that relies on mechanical transport and/or links in the chain is there.

I think at $400 per component, a lot is going to depend on how many components you want to include.
    Looking at your gallery pics I think you may be hard pushed to get satisfactory audio at that price point particularly if you include source (laptop, streamer, PC) in this.
    I would certainly have a listen to the HRT 11+ and if it ever gets here, the HRT HD which is on its way apparently.
    I would also have a listen to the Quad 12L actives.
    The Lio-8 from metric might be a contender given it looks like you “do” music. It would also give you active crossover control.
    A lot is going to depend on how you want to source your audio.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Michaelhigh

You’ve certainly got lots of kit. Having had “lots of kit” myself not that long ago and having recently had a major clear out and transferred to file based audio I can’t recommend it highly enough.
    AoS, as you have probably noticed, has its fair share of vintage eye candy loving audiophiles.
    I have no doubt that there are some great sounding systems in amongst all those shiny boxes.
    My point is, does one need all that kit to provide a satisfactory music listening experience?
    My belief is that at a certain point the tweaking, the upgrades give such a marginal difference/improvement (?) in sound for the expense and trouble it just isn’t worth it.
    There are always going to be those who are prepared to go to great lengths to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their wallets and kit but I have always had a sneaking suspicion that some of these audiophiles are exactly that rather than music lovers.

The bad news is not much has happened within the Hi Fi industry in the past 40 years.
    A good amp from the 70’s say is still a good amp today; the basic design of an amplifier hasn’t really changed be it valve or solid state.

Imo the only major change in this time period has been choice of source; the most recent being file based audio. Despite what the analogue enthusiast may claim, you can get excellent sound from file based audio and in theory the possibility of surpassing any source that relies on mechanical transport and/or links in the chain is there.

I think at $400 per component, a lot is going to depend on how many components you want to include.
    Looking at your gallery pics I think you may be hard pushed to get satisfactory audio at that price point particularly if you include source (laptop, streamer, PC) in this.
    I would certainly have a listen to the HRT 11+ and if it ever gets here, the HRT HD which is on its way apparently.
    I would also have a listen to the Quad 12L actives.
    The Lio-8 from metric might be a contender given it looks like you “do” music. It would also give you active crossover control.
    A lot is going to depend on how you want to source your audio.
    Welder, I am studying your commments. You have made some observations, I have read your posts to the "Art of Sound" thread (pretty cheeky, as y'all say), and, given your frame of reference as a former vinyl devotee and systemologist, I very much appreciate your input. It's hard to convey this without caps and underlining, I can rely on my command of the language and reiteration to drive my point across, hopefully. All valid points made in your reply posts, well-taken, all. With the British perspective I can get a better bead on my choices, and I look forward to lots more input from the vastly talented and geared-up folks here. As I stated elsewhere, I'm used to the repartee of a bunch of hoosiers here in the US. The politeness factor is refreshing here and much appreciated. The level of communication is really welcome, as I, too, hate conversing with someone who has to be told to pull the earplugs out, shut off the cell phone, and come back to reality when I need to get a simple confirmation from them. Looking forward to delving in here and capturing the essence of what this site is all about. Way, hey, eh?

I'm mike.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Squeezebox Touch will play 24/96 natively - Duet will not (24/48 max).
    The Touch also has better S/PDIF than the Duet.
    Thanks, big big overlooked point.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhigh View Post
    Thanks, big big overlooked point.
    You're welcome.

So, Touch as source.

I've had excellent results using a Beresford Caiman DAC as a preamp - it has variable outputs and an analog volume control on the front.
    http://www.beresford.me/PP/CAIMAN_PLUS.html

You could use this to front a HLLY T Amp-90.
    http://www.hllyelectronics.com/produ...roducts_id=113

Speakers - you could try some of the Mark Audio drivers and have a look at building some speakers from Planet10 http://www.planet10-hifi.com/ - look at the box plan for the MarKen 10
    The MA drivers are one of the few full range drive units that I've heard that really are full range.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast