+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name and Location... and Saying Hello

I'm Nick.

We would like people who post to complete their info, so other people 'know' who they're talking to. Existing members don't have to complete their details until they next update their profile. If they never update their profile then they won't get a system prompt... the only reason we did this was so we didn't have to keep asking people, which is probably a bit more annoying for all concerned anyway. It seems the case that a lot of people are happy to complete their details in any case, most active posters were even before we made the recent changes, via their sig or elsewhere. I appreciate that for you, with a 'real name' username, it probably seems excessive, but most people have more abstract usernames, like me
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    When the man from the lottery comes, you will know, grasshopper.

I don't do the lottery.

Or do I?

Hmmm.

"Music is the space between the notes"
    Debussy.

"I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of em
    I'd just drive a different car every day dependin on how I feel"
    Tom Waits

I'm Nobody.

We would like people who post to complete their info, so other people 'know' who they're talking to. Existing members don't have to complete their details until they next update their profile. If they never update their profile then they won't get a system prompt... the only reason we did this was so we didn't have to keep asking people, which is probably a bit more annoying for all concerned anyway. It seems the case that a lot of people are happy to complete their details in any case, most active posters were even before we made the recent changes, via their sig or elsewhere. I appreciate that for you, with a 'real name' username, it probably seems excessive, but most people have more abstract usernames, like me
    Hi Nick
    I don't want to sound off here but even though i don't have a problem with using my name as it was my choice anyway. It's the 'I'm Andr'e' bit under the right details i'm not happy about, i can't change it nor did i ask for it there.That alone will be something people will blow off about.. you can ask people to put there names in signature of what ever area's they have access to but making decisions for them by taking liberties they can't personally change is totally out of order.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-10-2010 at 00:42.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Nick, i never got a prompt even though i went to edit options
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Nick
    I don't want to sound off here but even though i don't have a problem with using my name as it was my choice anyway. It's the 'I'm Andr'e' bit under the right details i'm not happy about, i can't change it nor did i ask for it there.That alone will be something people will blow off about.. you can ask people to put there names in signature of what ever area's they have access to but making decisions for them by taking liberties they can't personally change is totally out of order. I have a name for this behaviour & i'm sure a lot have!
    Andre, just because you are asked to fill in certain information doesn't mean that you have to be totally forthcoming

Check Ali Taits name, mine's a little odd to
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post

Andre, just because you are asked to fill in certain information doesn't mean that you have to be totally forthcoming

Check Ali Taits name, mine's a little odd to
    i never got an option

I'm Nick.

I appreciate your feedback Andre. The 'I'm Nick' thing was intended to be a gentle way of presenting people's name, nothing more. Just better than 'Name: Nick'. It was designed so at a glance folks can see who they're referring to. To be honest, if anyone has real objections to sharing their real name they'll put something else in there. I won't know whether it's their real name or not, it's just a handle for them to be known as. At least having it next to their posts they won't forget who they said they were when they joined!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Nick.

If you really object Andre, you can just edit your name in the same place you entered it originally. It's not possible to leave the field blank, because it's a required field, but others have found ways to make their name 'special' as Mark has pointed out.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Nobody.

Hi Nick
    Like i said the other day i'm justt getting this when i do so.Don't think it's an Apostrophie prob

You did not enter the correct format for the Name field. Please read the field description for the expected format.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That's because you can't have a space between letters mate,the system won't do it.

I'm Nick.

Andr'e - PM me with what you're trying to enter and I'll investigate it. I've tried Andr'e as well and that works. Only characters A-Z, a-z, hyphen and apostrophe are permitted as it's a name field. Numbers and other characters will be rejected, as will spaces, as Ali points out... sorry it's causing you an issue though. It's not my intention to cause anyone any grief...
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast