+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrard 301 questions

I'm Nobody.

Go for a TD124 Hamish

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
    Yup the Lenco was a nice turntable, though perhaps a slight step down from the Garrard and a much cheaper proposition today. But I am sorry DSJR, Technical & General are gone as the guy retired.
    OH BUCK AND FOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!!

So, where can you get Lenco bits from now??????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Hamish

I have had both a 301 and a 401. Foolishly I sold my 301 for £15, and the guy I sold it to seemed quite happy with it as he rode off on his bicycle. I still have the 401, but it's not currently being used, and unfortunately the previous owner took a hacksaw to part of the baseplate - which spoils the appearance a bit.

My 301 had a booklet with it showing the various measurements of wow, flutter, rumble etc., but I figured it had been tested in days when mono LPs were the norm. The major issues I had were with the idler wheel, and the main bearing. There may also be issues with electrical induction, and possibly also variable playing weight due to the powerful motor under the platter. I was aware of rumble when playing stereo LPs, but speed stability sounded OK, unlike some other decks.

Re the actual power etc of the 301 or 401 units - it's very good. My understanding of some of the refurbished units (the kind that get's sold to Japan) is that they may be very good - with upgrades to the bearing and idler wheel etc (maybe new bearing designs), but correspondingly very expensive (£ks).

At current prices I suspect that this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrard-301-Tr...item19bfd92b71 might still be worthwhile at up to £500 - but I can't say more than that.

I'll be interested to know how your search turns out, and whether you go for one.
    Last edited by dave2010; 05-10-2010 at 12:20. Reason: grammar - "the"
    Dave

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

301's were crippled by their plinths back then and also by the manufacturing tolerances, especially in 401's in my personal experience - they were still being made in small numbers when I started. I'd respectfully suggest that a thorough service and proper understanding of the bearing (rather than wholesale replacement of supposedly inappropriate parts) will transform it for the better. A good plinth all but removes the motor harmonics and I doubt the bearing was that noisy anyway.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

Mighty Ant is selling a really nice 301 in a Russ Collinson plinth with a jelco 12" arm on the Wam.
    Rob

I'm Imjustsurviving.

not to bad a price either
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Mark.

Now don't go yelling at me, but if you really wanted a "black and White turntable
    with a teak trim of some sorts," could you not just have painted the technics
    and fashioned a wooden frame for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12