+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thin Lizzy 180gm viny re issue

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Today i had my 1st consignment of Lizzy vinyl , Black Rose , Bad Reputation and Live and Dangerous

Jailbreak to follow .

Mastering by Tim Turan , turanaudio.co.uk

So they are available and were indeed released on the 21/02/11 , but i also noticed they are available on the HMV site now and at £11.99 , i think they just got the prices wrong .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Chris.

A disappointing 1st listen

So far i have listened to Bad Reputation (white vinyl) its beautifully packaged with the inner sleeve showing a picture of the original master tape ! With detail's of when and how many times the tape was baked .

So how does it sound ? mmm , well i tried it on my 1210/309/DL160 and it sounded a bit soft and bass heavy ! plenty of detail but a dull balance and lacking the snap and punch ! This music deserves , i thought maybe my 160 is a bit tired ? So tonight i played it again on my SL-QL1 in my other system , mmmm same dull ' soft and bass heavy balance it wasn't all bad the sax on Dancing in the Moonlight sounded lovely !

But my wife was listening and commented how soft and lifeless it seemed to sound , i then put on my original copy of Lizzy's greatest hits which i purchased back in 81 .

Clarity ' punch and dynamics aplenty with a much better balance overall !

This is all a bit disappointing and doesn't bode well for the other albums , perhaps i shouldn't be that surprised but i was expecting a little better from Back to Black
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Played ' Black Rose ' this morning , this sounds much better , perhaps its all down to the condition of the original master's ? Rose seems to have been baked a few less times than Bad Reputation , must have been in a bit of a state .
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Well I'm persisting with this thread , cos i think there must be some lizzy fans around somewhere that might be interested in these new remaster's

Anyhow , Ok ' had a couple of listen's to all the album's now , and on both my Techie's and they sound great

Bad reputation for some reason ' now sounds much better after 3 plays ,don't know why that could be ? It did sound really dull on both decks at first , its white vinyl and there was a certain amount of fluff and stuff coming off the disc .

Black Rose is on red vinyl and sounded great on 1st listen ,though my QL1 had some trouble playing it to begin with , but i quickly figured out it was the optical sensor's in the platter not picking up the disc as the red vinyl is quite transparent , so i set the QL1 on manual .

Live and Dangerous is on blue vinyl and though not an especially good live recording , containing a lot of overdub's is still an enjoyable listen and much better than my original pressing which has a fault on ' Cowboy song anyway .

On all the albums , its noticeble how Phil Lynot's bass playing is much more prominent in the mix !(no bad thing as he was great) So it seems to me anyway , but i have to say I'm very happy with these reissue's and the coloured vinyl looks gorgeous ,well if you like that sort of thing .

I have Jailbreak coming this week with Chinatown and Johnny the Fox to follow , i do love this band
    Chris

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Well you've managed to prompt me to play the "Johnny The Fox" album, ripped from an earlyish CD on my Squeezebox/Caiman fronted system, and it sounds rather good

I think I'll follow it with "Bad Reputation", again off an earlyish CD, before calling it a night.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Chris.

Nice one Chris get rocking .

There is an interesting story about ' Don't believe a word ' when Phil first played it to Robertson in a slow 12-bar blues style , he called it ' Shite ' and with that statement Lynott disappeared for a few days , in the meantime Robertson and Downey reworked the song and upon Phil's return ,this is how it was recorded and Lynott took the credit , Robertson left the band soon after .
    Chris

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Interesting stuff
    In '78 Gary Moore's "Back On The Streets" album was released, and on it is a slow bluesy version of "Don't Believe A Word".
    Phil Lynott played and sang on this track.

So Phil managed to get the song recorded as he envisaged it.

I suppose that "Parisienne Walkways" was the song that overshadowed things, what, with it being the hit single and all......

Oh, and a certain Philip Lynott sang and played on that one too.

Have you heard the more recent live version of Don't Believe A Word by Gary Moore, where he plays both versions of the song, segued together ?
    It's an absolute killer !!!
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Interesting stuff
    In '78 Gary Moore's "Back On The Streets" album was released, and on it is a slow bluesy version of "Don't Believe A Word".
    Phil Lynott played and sang on this track.

So Phil managed to get the song recorded as he envisaged it.

I suppose that "Parisienne Walkways" was the song that overshadowed things, what, with it being the hit single and all......

Oh, and a certain Philip Lynott sang and played on that one too.

Have you heard the more recent live version of Don't Believe A Word by Gary Moore, where he plays both versions of the song, segued together ?
    It's an absolute killer !!!
    Thanks for that Chris ! i will search for that one .
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Just found this , feck he was great ! What a loss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzpMBscDNbM
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Phil and Gary together , what can you say .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Fgn...eature=related
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast