+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a high quality laptop based audio system

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your co-operation - much appreciated

Please however see my post #10 on page one of this thread.

It was made at 09:41 AM yesterday after you had posted your initial enquiry, well before the replies to you on page 2, therefore I would've presumed you'd have read that before the subsequent replies on the following page, which you responded to, unless of course you read backwards....

Anyway, no worries. Enjoy the forum and I hope you get all the info you need for your computer audio project

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE!BLOGGS View Post
    stream from your pc via 1000mb wired ethernet to a thin playstation 3 take the analogue output to a suitable amplifer and speakers take the hdmi to a hd tv
    this setup will play all your flacs and hd films in very high quality
    i have tried a great many dacs including the new arcam rdac last week and none compare to the singled ended capacitorless analogue output of the ps3

joe
    ALLEBLOODYLOOLYA!!!At last someone has cotton'd on...this guys is the gospel according to Joe...and me.

Marco...make Joe a moderator
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hehehe... Aye, but you needed a Nicky-boy valvey buffty-poo to be safisfied with yours, shweety!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Also,

As Dave pointed out, active speakers are another option, but there are a few considerations
    If i were gonna buy Active speakers the ones i'd buy would be an old pair of Meridian Actives...For modern day option, i've use KRK active monitors in an hifi enviroment to great effect..I've actually be toeing with the idea of getting my old Meridian 'M2's speakers back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Another option would be to buy a Squeezebox Touch.If the hard drives you have are external ones (or buy a case to put them in) you can connect them directly to the Touch via usb. The Touch has both analogue and digital outs,so intitially you could use the analogue outs straight into an amp,and then buy a dac such as the Beresford Caiman when funds permit. This would the most cost-effective solution IMO as you would not need to buy a laptop. The Touch sounds very good from it's analogue outs,and can he made even better with the addition of a decent dac.
    Seconded.

Chuck, if you don't mind running extra wires to the audio system, I'd recommend using the laptop (or any decent computer) as the server. Though obviously not as convenient, I find the efforts well rewarded.
    Alex

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That's my next move Alex. I bought a guruplug for this very purpose but I don't know the first thing about linux,so I think I will sell it and buy a mini pc with windows to network the drives and run squeezecenter on.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I remembered Tony Moore posting about using a Sheeva plug so dug about in the threads for this http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=tony+moore

Tony might be able to help you with setting up your GuruPlug.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers Chris, but it's not knowing linux that's the problem. Assuming I get it set up with Tony's or Nick's help, I still know next to nowt about it,so if I get any problems, I won't know how to fix it. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm not so sure. At least with a windows mini pc I've got a chance of sorting any problems myself.

Anyone want to buy a Guruplug??

I'm NoLongerActive.

It appeals to me.
    A small box running Linux with MPD for the audio and a hell of a outboard DAC
    But I don’t like the interfaces of almost all MPD clients and getting it right simply takes to much time
    http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/L...rs/MPD/MPD.htm

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Another option would be to buy a Squeezebox Touch.If the hard drives you have are external ones (or buy a case to put them in) you can connect them directly to the Touch via usb. The Touch has both analogue and digital outs,so intitially you could use the analogue outs straight into an amp,and then buy a dac such as the Beresford Caiman when funds permit. This would the most cost-effective solution IMO as you would not need to buy a laptop. The Touch sounds very good from it's analogue outs,and can he made even better with the addition of a decent dac.
    Oh, what a merry-go-round!

I followed Ian's example and instruction with a laptop/ethernet/chubby PS3 into the killer Dac I bought from him (Williams Audio Brass Boy ).
    Sound quality is certainly not an issue but all the laptop-PS3 connection faffing about is winding me right up. Not conducive to a relaxed and receptive state of mind for a listening sesh, keeps dropping the connection. If only the PS3 played Flac natively

Ali, you had me persuaded with your persistence about the Touch, was not convinced by the WD streamer and I think you know a thing ot two about great sound - then you start in with the 'getting a PC' stuff! I really was hoping to adopt computer audio but without the computer.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast