+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiseki Milltek Aurora High End

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Used the supplied way, the big Maggies are just as you describe Darren. Hifi dave meant that "too much" was perfect

Jimmy always wanted to go that much further, for good or ill, so the first thing he did was to remove the grille cloth, turn the speakers round so the sound came from the rear (magnets were then behind the diaphragm rather than in front of) and maybe did some crossover tinkering (I can't remember). The end result was a hugely OTT sound that could be fatiguing on bad recordings/mastering - a similar kind of thing to using high resolution huge monitors at home (large double-driver Tannoys, JBL's, ATC200/300's, that kind of thing). The Impulse speakers he ended up with had just the right balance of detail, dynamic range, lowish colouration and listening "comfort" too.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Really? In what way Dave? The Maggies that I own/ have owned have all been so smooth and expansive sounding.
    My first pair of SMGbs were nicknamed the musical ironing boards at home. They sounded so natural out into the room with loads of space behind and around them.
    I love Maggies and we did OK with them but of course, a speaker of this size is always going to be a hard sell in GB even though we used to demonstrate that they are slim and can be pushed out of the way when not used.

A pair of MG-111 driven by a pair of EAR 549 monoblocks was an awesome sound, producing a truly massive soundstage and bags of solid midband.

I'm steve.

hope you dont mind me asking.. but i have a kiseki blue gold spot i bought around 12 years ago.. i had it rebuilt.. just to stop me wondering what i had really had..

when i got it back it owsted the lyra lydian beta i had just bought

i was quite pleased..

it's been in the draw for at least 6 years..
    what i was quite impressed with, was the matching step up transformers
    which i still use on occasions.. they are audiophile products mc1 silver wired
    they must be rare .. i've been looking for review / info ever since
    any experts? there's very little on the web (or so it seems)

cheers
    steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    hope you dont mind me asking.. but i have a kiseki blue gold spot i bought around 12 years ago.. i had it rebuilt.. just to stop me wondering what i had really had..

i was quite pleased..

cheers
    steve
    Is the transformer a black tube approx 9 inches long x 2.5 inches diameter, with a captive incon and mounted on a wooden cradle ?

I'm Lucky.

i was quite pleased..

cheers
    steve
    Hi Steve,
    You lucky Jotter.... I wish I had a kiseki stuck in a drawer someplace and a pair of silver wired transformers as well.... What a nightmare for you! ( joke)
    I can smell a second analogue front end coming on here..... If you don't use 'em, you'll lose 'em!
    ( or I'll buy them off you for peanuts!)
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm horny.

I had a Milltek Olympia for a while on a Kuzma Stogi/PT Anniversary which I think was the model up from the Aurora.

Very nice cartridge though no where near the performance of the Kiseki Agate Ruby also had at the time.

Paul.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Is the transformer a black tube approx 9 inches long x 2.5 inches diameter, with a captive incon and mounted on a wooden cradle ?
    thats the one dave, there's a couple of transformers inside, silver endcaps

i dont have the wood stand though... do you know it?

darren,

i have a few other hobbys.. so i dont use my hi fi that often really

the record player got its first use since may, on saturday night...

last spring i bought a dynavector ultimo 30a, (what i believed to be a van den hul rebuild ? it has a 2009 brul & Kjoer print out, which i believe is their rebuild trademark ?)

that the best sounding cart i have at the moment.. i still have a soft spot for the m3d too..

any info is appreciated on any of my 'rare' bits..

cheers
    steve

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That Kiseki Blue was good as i remember, but just a bit "raw" compared to the better models in the range. i suspect it would sell for around a grand nowadays, assuming the market was there.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

thats the one dave, there's a couple of transformers inside, silver endcaps

i dont have the wood stand though... do you know it?

darren,

i have a few other hobbys.. so i dont use my hi fi that often really

the record player got its first use since may, on saturday night...

last spring i bought a dynavector ultimo 30a, (what i believed to be a van den hul rebuild ? it has a 2009 brul & Kjoer print out, which i believe is their rebuild trademark ?)

that the best sounding cart i have at the moment.. i still have a soft spot for the m3d too..

any info is appreciated on any of my 'rare' bits..

cheers
    steve
    Yes, I bought one back in the 80's when Absolute Sounds first inported the original Koetsu. At that time it was marketed as Sugano's recommended transformer and I still have it.

Over the years I have compared it to many transformers, some at 20 x the price and it has always won hands down. It's seriously good.

Early on I replaced the silver Audionote lead with something better that doesn't break and I am using it to this day.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    That Kiseki Blue was good as i remember, but just a bit "raw" compared to the better models in the range. i suspect it would sell for around a grand nowadays, assuming the market was there.
    thanks dave for that.. i turned down an offer of £250 a couple of years ago
    i nearly accepted..
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast