+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tail-end banner

I'm Nick.

A limiting factor in iPods is the DAC and headphone amps. Which is why some of the more high end system integrators out there utilise a digital out via the dock, rather than relying on the innards of the iPod to do the job. A Sony Pro Walkman can sound amazing; and it's a nice picture representative of cassette tape in general… well done for spotting though Dave!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

So none of you can hear the "tearing" flutter on all the Walkman Pro's (quite a few actually as we used to sell them and two friends had them 'cos they were fashionable in the "Flat Response" days) I've heard when running on batteries then? I didn't think they sounded much better than most good low-budget cassette decks and the fashion for using them without Dolby was a joke, as in those days I found the tape-hiss most objectionable.

By the way Marco, there are PMP's and PMP's. Some will drive headphones much better than others and feature superior audio amps inside I gather..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Interesting, thanks for the info, Marco. I've never listened to high end cassette (I was always a vinyl boy, only recorded to tape for the car and a lowly Aiwa personal) so I can't really comment on the direct comparison, but I certainly don't find the ipod "cold and tinny" with proper 'phones, but I guess it is a culture thing as much as anything. Maybe I'll get to have a listen to a Pro one day and I can make my own comparison.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Last edited by StanleyB; 02-10-2010 at 06:58.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Cassettes can be very good. It's just that the Walkman pro was too much of a compromised novelty when running on batteries. used on the mains, it was very much better, but cost more than full sized equivalents. A baby Nak (BX100E) ate it alive and was more durable as the hours went up..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123