+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garrard 401

I'm ILOB.

Default Garrard 401

I finally gone and done it and got me a rather nice looking 401. I want to do all the maintence work myself but looks to be in superb condiction. Not sure which route to go down via the plinth. Should I go Slatedeck or the cain and cain plinth both look great but very different open to recomendatons around this. I will post comments and thoughts as the project develops. Will it be better than my VPI time will tell as the VPI is a great turntable.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If it were me,I'd go for the Slatedeck.I've heard a Slatedecked Garrard and it is excellent.Darren knows his stuff.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Very good when Slatedecked apparently, and Garrards are already excellent.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

I will hear a slatedeck at the weekend this seems to be the best route to go down from what I read
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Enjoy!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not cheap,but you really do get what you've paid for.Forget the photos,they look far better in real life.Beautiful looking pieces of slate with a lovely oily grain and each example is unique.I only saw one in real life a few months ago and it looked absolutely superb. I've no connection to Slatedeck apart from having met Darren several years ago long before he started Slatedeck,and he is a nice chap,and I'm sure a pleasure to deal with commercially.I guess you have already,but if not,visit the audio-talk site.It's hung off the Slatedeck site,and you can talk to several people who have slatedecked TT's.

I'm ILOB.

The 401 sounded wonderful heard this at Vic he is the guy who makes the Terminator.
    But also speraking to another friend who has designed turntables plinths and reckons actual best route is to get an idlier rim drive for my VPI turntable, means a new arclic plinth sandwich but would take it beyond SME30 level.

I'm Greg.

I've not heard a 401 in a better application than a Slatedeck which is why I own one. My deck has on several occasions been publically demonstrated and I've never had a negative comment. At the Bristol Sound and Vision Show last February, Paul Messenger came into the WD room, listened for a while and turned to Peter C and said, 'Get me one of those'.

For a slab of stone the price seems high, although considering the state of the Welsh Slate industry at present, resonable especially as this Slate is one of the hardest in the world and appears to out-perform other world sources. I explored using a local slate and mable supplier who quoted alot more than Slatedeck for the same product.

In terms of sound upgrade, a Slatedeck is actually very good value. I think the fact that you have to bolt it all together yourself, in the minds eye puts it in the DIY bracket which turns the customer off, especially over the price. The build is fundamentally simple and easy for just about anyone. Just because you have to self-assemble, it does not exclude it from being an audiophile product. Actually, when you've done it you realise it is a bargain audiophile product!

To put it in perspective, previously I had a HR power supplied Michell Gyro Orbe conversion to the value of about £2000 (disregarding arm and cartridge which I've retained). I found a second hand scruffy 401 mounted it in a slab of Mohogany significantly out performed the Michell. In consequence I bought a mint 401 and the Slatedeck. Outlay was less than £900 and the sale of the Michell easily financed it. As I've said, if you think about it the appropriate way, a Slatedeck is an audiophile bargain!

Best wishes,

Greg

I'm Nick.

Just checked out the Slatedeck site and they look amazing with a 301. My dad had a 301 until recently, and I used it a lot when I was kid; not really thinking about it. He used to go mad when I played 12" singles on his stylus I wish I'd had the money for it when he came to sell!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

Well have to agree the 401 on a slate is pretty special but I now will sell my 401 on ebay as decided to go down a very different route to audio heaven The plan is to seriously modify my VPI HW19 mk4. Basically i will sell the plinth and SAMA motor and keep my arm and the heavy duty platter I then plan to get the rim drive with Duel motor pulley A scoutmaster chassis and the SDS power unit This should make one extremly stunning turntable I will start a new thread and add pictures as this develops.

+ Reply to Thread