+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital output, does it require 'burn in' ?

Default Digital output, does it require 'burn in' ?

Hi all
    I Just wanted to know if a digital output on a cd player ( mine) needs time to 'burn in'.
    The reason for this is I recently aquired an Arcam Alpha 5+ CDP for a few quid and as far as I can tell ( the guy demo'd it for me) it was only ever run via its analog outputs to the amp, and has had verl light use.

I plugged it into my DAC and found the sound was great, sound field and detail was huge compared to the BDP I was using (as expected) but it seemed to be a little too much in the higher spectrum , to the point where I felt it over exagerated the mid/treble to such an extent It annoyed me and I ended up switching it off.
    I kept going and now 1 month in the sound is much smoother in the mid/treble and now I cant get enough of it.
    All in a fantastic buy , just a little confused as to how such an old player can change sooooo much
    Cheers

Paul
    Paul

System :Arcam Alpha 5+ into Beresford TC7520, Gatored with an AD826 opamp + Caiman PSU into Dual mono Gainclone :AKG K530 headphones: Denon AVR1910 : B&W DM601 S3 + LCR60 S3, Tannoy MX2 x 2 + Yamaha YST-SW320 sub:Mark Grant Canare LV61S : Beresford TRC-222-1M + TC-3618 TOSLINK all running via a Tacima mains conditioner

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Were or should i say are you using the S/PDIF output (phono plug)?

If so it could be a combination of a few things. 1. The cable being used has now settled in & 2. The isolation transformer that connects to the S/PDIF connector on the player having now been used is settling in.

I'm not sure if they happen to have a 75ohm or other load resistor accross the secondary of that tiny transformer, if so it'd be down to the cable you are using more than likely.

If you are using Toslink i have no idea
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Sorry should have said, using S/PDIF as it doesnt have a TOSLINK out. the cable is the Beresford TRC-222 I was using to connect the BDPlayer so it wont be that.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Paul

System :Arcam Alpha 5+ into Beresford TC7520, Gatored with an AD826 opamp + Caiman PSU into Dual mono Gainclone :AKG K530 headphones: Denon AVR1910 : B&W DM601 S3 + LCR60 S3, Tannoy MX2 x 2 + Yamaha YST-SW320 sub:Mark Grant Canare LV61S : Beresford TRC-222-1M + TC-3618 TOSLINK all running via a Tacima mains conditioner

I'm Deleted.

No - why should it?

I suspect that it is you that has become accustomed to the sound (in the intervening month), rather than the equipment altering in performance (no less real a change).
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    No - why should it?
    Sorry , dont understand your reply?
    Paul

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I Just wanted to know if a digital output on a cd player ( mine) needs time to 'burn in'.
    It was in response to the first line of your OP "no - why should it?" (why should it need to burn in?)
    Account Deleted

I guess then it could well be as you have described , just me getting used to the sound , I've never had such a 'wide open top end ' before.
    Paul

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I suspect it's because you've got used to it.

I ought to say, however, that it is my experience (for some unkown reason) that equipment does seem to need a touch of "electrical annealing." This cannot be measured too well, but I've heard this on a number of occasions. It's only a small difference if indeed it exists.

Glad you're happy with the sound you're getting At least the CD transport is servicable I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread