+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Croft is building amplifiers again! CroftAcoustics.co.uk

I'm InSpace.

Well... I must admit, I don't particularly like separate volume controls.

However!.... If the performance warranted it, I could put up with it.

But!... If it was THAT much of a problem, at least I have the knowledge to do something about it. It really is NOT that f*cking difficult!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The thing is Mike they're focussing on the wrong thing. The dual-mono volume controls are only a small part of the overall amplifier design - they are not responsible for the bulk of its performance!

The fact is Glenn's design ethos is (and always has been) about performance over convenience and if concessions are made in that area they are done reluctantly. Dual-mono pots are more accurate and thus offer better performance - end of. The percentage of improvement is irrelevant; it's the fact that they offer an improvement, no matter how small, that counts. This is why you will never see PCBs in a Croft design - hard-wiring is always the name of the game.

For Glenn it's about the cumulative effect of chosen components and how they are implemented, i.e. *everything* matters, even down to the signal conductivity properties of the phono sockets! I know how specific he is about all aspects of design because I've spoken to him at length both on the phone and in person during the modification of my own preamp. I implemented his suggestions and the result is I have a preamp which is far in excess superior to anything I have heard or used previously - yes that good!

If people wish to lose out on the opportunity of owning arguably the best amplifiers on the market at anything like an affordable price for the sake of their beloved having to twiddle two knobs instead of one (oo-er, missus) to hear their Take That CDs while doing the ironing then good luck to them...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Dual volume controls? Just stick a lekkie band round them both and turn one of them...

Hee Hee.

I'm InSpace.

Marco,

I know exactly what you are trying to say. But as a technopleb you are not qualified!

You are right though, but not in the way you think!... There are technical ways around this, if the know-it-alls on PFM could be arsed, then they could overcome these so called 'problems'. I'm on Glen's (and yours) side here!

Duel mono volume pots are SO easy!... Two completely separate pots on one 'shaft' ( oi!...steady now!) is not earth shattering technology!

Some folk just cannot think outside the box!

If they like the performance, but not the 'facilities', change em!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Mikey, I would never claim to be technically minded; technicalities are not my forte, but I have good ears and can usually identify what upgrades constitute as a genuine (musical) improvement with hi-fi

I rate and admire Glenn's design ethos very highly, and there are other designers too who are somewhat less well-known but equally talented, IMO, and who post on this forum

I'm sure your suggestion is easily implemented but I wouldn't even bother going there - I would simply enjoy the designs for what they are, which has already been covered in detail.

I think 'she who must be obeyed' has got rather too much authority in some people's homes...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Here's a very interesting link about Croft and the ethos behind the products:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/croft/croft.html

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would simply enjoy the designs for what they are, which has already been covered in detail.

I think 'she who must be obeyed' has got rather too much authority in some people's homes...

Marco.
    I could not agree more!

The point is: That for those that this arrangement (god knows why) is unacceptable, get it changed!

The performance cost will be negligible!

I guess I'm saying that they are whining for the sake of it!... If this is what you want, buy it and get it modified to your liking (this is what always do) or look elsewhere!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    ...Two completely separate pots on one 'shaft' ( oi!...steady now!) is not earth shattering technology!...
    I had exactly that on my passive - it was a completely dual mono design with no cross channel at any point.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

Exactly... It ain't rocket science!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    No twin knobs please but I'm genuinely interested in a valve pre that will see off my solid state Spectral DMC-15. I tried a Glasshouse TVC passive and whilst it was more organic it was rather shut-in both spatially and dynamically compared to the Spectral. It was also less dynamic to the point of a slight shoutiness even if this was without any real hardness as such.

I'm looking for the dynamics, timing and soundstaging of the Spectral with perhaps more natural sounding vocals. The Spectral is very, very good indeed and is probably worth around £2000 on the s/h market. It was £4700 new back in 2001. The latest version of it is £4800.

Basically 2k is my top-line budget for a pre.
    Hi Steve
    If you are looking for a pre you would do yourself a good favour in searching out a listen to a Modwright SWL 9.0se with the Valve rectified PS. I used to own the very model and absolutely loved it, only changed to go to it's big brother the LS36.5

Andy - SDDW

One being sold here;http://www.adverts.hififorsale.com/public.asp
    Last edited by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker; 09-07-2008 at 03:00. Reason: Add a link to a classified Ad
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast