Quote Originally Posted by Steph Dale View Post
Andrew, Barry,

I reckon it's an early one. The black-painted aluminium tube is a give-away, as is the 'meccano' arm-lift; later arms had graceful arc-shaped lifts. Not all had detachable arm tubes with plugs/sockets in the lift/lower bracket; I've had a couple across the workbench in that form. Early wiring tends to be a bit average in my opinion and it's relatively easy to snag or pull it if the arm isn't well secured when moving it around.

It may still be 'unique', but most of the early ones were; Hadcock had a reputation for that in the seventies!

£300 is probably a touch ambitious for an earlyish one in uncertain condition. I'd have gone with something around the £200 mark and a quick look at the listings of those actually sold on a well-known on-line auction house seems I might be about right. A black-tube 228 Super went in January this year for just £97...

Steph
Well you live and learn - I didn't think any GH 228 or 242 arm dispensed with the plug and socket. But thinking about it early versions were obviously a development of the original Unipoise and Unipoise Super, which did not use it.

The black arm tube only appeared when the stainless steel option became available. Not sure when that was.

However I still think the arm for sale has been rewired because of the clumsy-looking connections with the screened cables.