+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hadcock Tonearm - 1977

I'm Andrew.

Default Hadcock Tonearm - 1977

Hello everyone. I have this Hadcock tonearm that was removed from a Fons TT. It was fitted with a Decca London cartridge. I think it may date from around 1977.

Does anybody know this model?

I have included a photo of it working, but I would say that it needs a refurb?

I am going to try and sell it, I'm unsure of the value.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

IMG_20240227_160238.jpg
    160352.jpg160620_BURST001_COVER.jpg160703.jpg
    160733.jpg
    Last edited by Redox; 25-04-2024 at 13:55.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It looks like a late version of the GH228 arm. The black arm finish means it uses an aluminium arm tube, and not the later stainless steel arm tubes.

It is difficult to see from the photo, but does the anti-skating mechanism use a pivoted weight or a weight on a thread à la SME? Also does the pivot cover use 'outriggers' to achieve lateral balance?

Depending on the version and overall condition, you could expect to pay between £250 and £400.

A close-up of the pivot cover would help pin down the exact version and value.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Barry, more photos added.

Is the bias weight, as shown in the last photo, fitted with a fine nylon cord?

Also I see that the arm tube is not detachable, so arm tube swapping is not possible. This must make it a very late iteration, as all Hadcock arms used to have detachable arm tubes; connected to the arm base via a miniature 4-pin plug and socket.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Yes, the bias weight does use a fine nylon cord. Do you think it's 1977? or later?

Having done a bit of research I think your GH228 is unique. As I said all unmodified Hadcock arms, regardless of length and year of manufacture had detachable arm tubes. Electrical connection was made via a minature red-coloured 4-way plug and socket located on the lift/lower device bracket. The wiring from the socket passed through a hole in the arm pillar where it was joined to the two coaxial cables fitted with phono plugs.

I now believe your arm was rewired and opportunity was taken to bypass the plug and socket and pass the new wires through the hole in the arm pillar where they were joined with the screened arm leads (the rather clumsy looking work suggests it is not something GH would have done).

The arm lift/lower bracket is new, as there is no trace of where the former plug and socket would have been.

So there you have it - IMO a totally unique GH228. As to its worth, well that is difficult to say, but were it me I would suggest something upwards of £300.

Hope this has helped.
    Barry

I'm Steph.

Andrew, Barry,

I reckon it's an early one. The black-painted aluminium tube is a give-away, as is the 'meccano' arm-lift; later arms had graceful arc-shaped lifts. Not all had detachable arm tubes with plugs/sockets in the lift/lower bracket; I've had a couple across the workbench in that form. Early wiring tends to be a bit average in my opinion and it's relatively easy to snag or pull it if the arm isn't well secured when moving it around.

It may still be 'unique', but most of the early ones were; Hadcock had a reputation for that in the seventies!

£300 is probably a touch ambitious for an earlyish one in uncertain condition. I'd have gone with something around the £200 mark and a quick look at the listings of those actually sold on a well-known on-line auction house seems I might be about right. A black-tube 228 Super went in January this year for just £97...

Steph
    Sources: Phonosophie No.3 (TP90), Ortofon Winfield, Noteworthy Phonote; Thorens TD521s, SME 312s, Tubaphon Tu-2 blue, Audio Research Ph5; Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N
    Amplification: Pathos Logos Mk1.5
    Speakers: Ruark Equinox
    Cables: Chord Sarum (various types/ages)

Portable: Astell+Kern SR35, Sennheiser Momentum 2

In the works: Thorens TD124/ii, SME M2-12r; Technics SL-110, SME IV, Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii; Phonosophie No.2 (TP90), Audio Technica AT33Sa; etc...

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Barry, I have listed the arm on eBay without reserve. Let's see what the market makes of it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305531785442
    Last edited by Redox; 25-04-2024 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph Dale View Post
    Andrew, Barry,

I reckon it's an early one. The black-painted aluminium tube is a give-away, as is the 'meccano' arm-lift; later arms had graceful arc-shaped lifts. Not all had detachable arm tubes with plugs/sockets in the lift/lower bracket; I've had a couple across the workbench in that form. Early wiring tends to be a bit average in my opinion and it's relatively easy to snag or pull it if the arm isn't well secured when moving it around.

It may still be 'unique', but most of the early ones were; Hadcock had a reputation for that in the seventies!

£300 is probably a touch ambitious for an earlyish one in uncertain condition. I'd have gone with something around the £200 mark and a quick look at the listings of those actually sold on a well-known on-line auction house seems I might be about right. A black-tube 228 Super went in January this year for just £97...

Steph
    Well you live and learn - I didn't think any GH 228 or 242 arm dispensed with the plug and socket. But thinking about it early versions were obviously a development of the original Unipoise and Unipoise Super, which did not use it.

The black arm tube only appeared when the stainless steel option became available. Not sure when that was.

However I still think the arm for sale has been rewired because of the clumsy-looking connections with the screened cables.

+ Reply to Thread