+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RSD 2024

I'm Martin.

Maybe it just wouldn't sell at the higher price? The market finds its level.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

I wouldn't expect the market to find its level that quickly, it's only been a week.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I wouldn't expect the market to find its level that quickly, it's only been a week.
    Maybe they will get even cheaper next week?

Better off starting high then dropping your price until someone buys, than starting low and losing potential profit.

Overheads of running physical shop are massive these days, everyone wants a piece of you, plus it's all heavily over-regulated at vast expense. Can't blame the shopkeep for trying to make a few bob.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I don't normally comment on RSD because, as they say, if you don't like something then you don't need to spend time on it or spoil others' fun with your negativity. But the OP did ask...

I think it is way, way beyond its original justification. It's an artificial spike in the market that takes up pressing plant time and causes a secondary market pricing frenzy. Most of it is old material merely with substandard coloured vinyl or extra cardboard. It knocks out delivery times for normal non-RSD sales. I believe it excludes second hand record shops from participating so isn't a true record store day anyway.

In an age when playing records has become priced out of the lives of ordinary folks it perpetuates the bad joke that is the so-called "vinyl revival".

Obviously I'm a bit grumpy this morning but you can see why I don't usually bother commenting on it.

Pete

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I don't normally comment on RSD because, as they say, if you don't like something then you don't need to spend time on it or spoil others' fun with your negativity. But the OP did ask...

I think it is way, way beyond its original justification. It's an artificial spike in the market that takes up pressing plant time and causes a secondary market pricing frenzy. Most of it is old material merely with substandard coloured vinyl or extra cardboard. It knocks out delivery times for normal non-RSD sales. I believe it excludes second hand record shops from participating so isn't a true record store day anyway.

In an age when playing records has become priced out of the lives of ordinary folks it perpetuates the bad joke that is the so-called "vinyl revival".

Obviously I'm a bit grumpy this morning but you can see why I don't usually bother commenting on it.

Pete
    My local second hand shop participated, so they're not excluded.

I think RSD started before the 'vinyl revival'. Okay, so it was and is a marketing exercise, but it's possible that it's at least partly responsible for the revival.

Whether the revival was good thing or not is debatable. It's certainly made used records a lot more expensive, which is only a good thing if you already have lots of them and are not planning on getting any more.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My local second hand shop participated, so they're not excluded.
    Perhaps things have changed, I had heard that on a YouTube video made by a second hand record shop owner.

A couple of Christmases ago my daughter asked for a turntable. I got her a CD player and a stack of CDs since there's no way she'll be able to afford records. One of her friends has 5 LPs and no turntable, they're all still sealed adorning his bedroom walls. The modern world, eh?

Happily the world looks a bit better now I've had a coffee

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234