+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internal phono stage on Sugden A21L vs Slee Era V

I'm Mike.

Default Internal phono stage on Sugden A21L vs Slee Era V

So, after owning this Suggie for about 2 yrs now I finally got around to changing the internal phono stage from mc to mm, which required less technical skill than changing TV channels with the remote. Been using a Slee era V Gold with its PSU 1 ps. I'll be listening intensely for the next few days, but was wondering on the basic facts on onboard vs offboard phono stages, all things being equal, wouldn't an on board stage be better due to direct cabling from record player to amp?

Be nice to have a one box option, but if the Slee is better then, of course, silly to get rid of it. So we'll see if there's any noticeable difference.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

No I don't think so as it's a line level signal.

Signal from turntable to phono stage is the most vulnerable to corruption as it's very low voltage.

I don't know but I'd like to think that Sugden fit a fairly competent phono stage given the price of the amp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

You can't generalise as there are good, bad and indifferent of each. If anything, the best phono stages are separate units.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Stand alone phono stages have the advantage of being able to be situated close to the cartridge; expecially if they are powered by a separate DC power supply. This arrangement shortens the vulnerable low-level signal path between cartridge and phonostage.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Stand alone phono stages have the advantage of being able to be situated close to the cartridge; expecially if they are powered by a separate DC power supply. This arrangement shortens the vulnerable low-level signal path between cartridge and phonostage.
    what on earth does that mean?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No I don't think so as it's a line level signal.

Signal from turntable to phono stage is the most vulnerable to corruption as it's very low voltage.

I don't know but I'd like to think that Sugden fit a fairly competent phono stage given the price of the amp.
    what do you mean by that?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    what do you mean by that?
    The electrical signal from the cartridge is at a very low voltage ( with MM about 5 millivolts) so it is more affected by noise (mostly RFI) between the deck and the phono stage (which will amplify the signal to a higher voltage).

As Barry says ideally you want as short a run of cable as possible from cartridge to phono stage to minimise RFI pick up.

The phono stage will probably put out around 2 volts - a much more robust signal - so the distance from the phono stage to the next stage (pre-amp or integrated amp) is much less critical.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The electrical signal from the cartridge is at a very low voltage ( with MM about 5 millivolts) so it is more affected by noise (mostly RFI) between the deck and the phono stage (which will amplify the signal to a higher voltage).

As Barry says ideally you want as short a run of cable as possible from cartridge to phono stage to minimise RFI pick up.

The phono stage will probably put out around 2 volts - a much more robust signal - so the distance from the phono stage to the next stage (pre-amp or integrated amp) is much less critical.
    OK, I'll try it, bet it makes no difference though! A bit like different record mats, clamps, spiked support stnads, and all other 'tricks of the mind'.

I'm Kevin.

The Slee Era V Gold is a good stage, but not “the best” he offers.
    It all depends on what you are looking for, and will come down to personal preference.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The Slee Era V Gold is a good stage, but not “the best” he offers.
    It all depends on what you are looking for, and will come down to personal preference.
    That is another advantage of using a stand alone phono stage - many of them come with a range of adjustments for gain, capacitance, etc. Some settings will be necessary for your particular cartridge, some may give you a small degree of tweaking to your personal taste.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast