+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which tonearm?

I'm Peter.

Of course… the SME V5 was installed on the Townsend Rock 7 and the DP80…. Dull and uninformative by comparison to the Dynavector.

Don’t get me wrong, the V5 is a very good arm, and I’m running the Dynavector with the Koetsu Onyx at the moment. The V5 pails into insignificance by comparison..

I’ve spent a lifetime (60 years) trying to find an arm that meets everything that makes me happy…. The Dynavector is such a device.

lovingly nicknamed the CARJACK, because of its robust build.

However…… each to their own .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    lovingly nicknamed the CARJACK, because of its robust build.
    When I once jokingly described the DV 505 and DV 507 as the sort of arm Desperate Dan would use, you took umbrage, yet you are now quite happy with the nickname of the CARJACK.

All pickup arms have limitations of one sort or another, and the Dynavector arms are no exception.

But as you say: "each to their own".
    Barry

I'm Peter.

As my 76th birthday approaches, I truly can’t remember ever taking umbridge about this arm. It must have been some time ago. when I didn’t know any better.

Still….. when you’ve spent 22k on a TT / Arm / Cartridge, you have to defend yer purchase. 🫤

Enjoy whatever you have….. this gives me loads of pleasure, and at the end of the day, it was my choice……… right or wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Michael.

SME V dull and uniformative, never. Are you sure the V was a V?

Mike

I'm Steph.

I nearly went for the SME IV, but it has very variable opinions so probably can't be considered universal. Although, when well partnered, it can be terrific and is very good at managing surface noise, in my experience.

So, perhaps some slightly controversial choices, but I reckon I'd go for either:
    Thorens TP90 (particularly the 'S' version), which is soooo much better than you might ever expect, especially if rewired.
    Audiocraft AC-3000, 'cos you can't really beat a good unipivot for sheer musicality and the Audiocraft arms are easier to set up than most.

Of course the arm cable also makes a huge difference and best bang for buck surely has to be the Furutech AG-12.

I tend to think of the tonearm as the key component in a turntable, so it's taken me little while to get down to two!

Steph
    Sources: Phonosophie No.3 (TP90), Ortofon Winfield, Noteworthy Phonote; Thorens TD521s, SME 312s, Tubaphon Tu-2 blue, Audio Research Ph5; Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N
    Amplification: Pathos Logos Mk1.5
    Speakers: Ruark Equinox
    Cables: Chord Sarum (various types/ages)

Portable: Astell+Kern SR35, Sennheiser Momentum 2

In the works: Thorens TD124/ii, SME M2-12r; Technics SL-110, SME IV, Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii; Phonosophie No.2 (TP90), Audio Technica AT33Sa; etc...

I'm Mike.

I prefer my Dynavector DV505 to both the Fidelity Research FR64FX and Audio Technica 1010 Tonearms.

My Koetsu Black Goldline is sounding the best I've heard it on the 505 so it must suit it and my ears.

I'm jamie.

i sold my modded AT-1010 last year ,i now use a Mission Mechanic,love it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12