+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Technics SL-110 is a bit good isn’t it?

I'm Steph.

Default The Technics SL-110 is a bit good isn’t it?

Although I’m an inveterate user of Thorens turntables for the last 30 years or so, I have had really good experiences with other brands and types than belt-drives. I’m also far from ‘blinkered’ about other approaches and a few years ago, thanks to @phonomac of this parish, I had the chance to listen to a well set-up Technics direct drive with one of my own cartridges. It was an experience I decided I wanted to eventually try and replicate in my own system, but the turntable that Angus introduced me to was certainly more than I wanted to spend on an experiment. At the time I heard the Technics, I had one of the Thorens direct drives as a standby machine and it worked well with Thorens wonderful TP90 tonearm, even if it was in need of service, so direct drive turntables have been in use in the current system. I remember the conversation with Angus about the turntable I was building at the time – a basket-case Thorens TD-521. His turntable had the Tenuto platter mat and it was one reason why I bought one for my Thorens ‘table and why I wanted to try it on my own Technics, when I got it.

Anyway, I had a figure in my head for my ‘experiment’ and a false start with a Technics SL-120, which to these ears/music/trousers/system wasn’t anything particularly special; I think the not-quite-100% SME 3009R was probably not a great match for either the table or the cartridge (Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii) that I used with it. Eventually, however, patience paid off: Technics SL-110; no arm; with lid, no serious damage or marks and with the strobe, for close to the price I had in my head. A deal was done and a few days later a couple of very large boxes arrived, containing one perfectly-packed SL-110. Over the following weeks it was checked out, lubricated and cleaned. Corian armboards were ordered from Konne Design. Amongst a small stack of ‘I’m not getting rid of that’ goodies is a Dynavector DV-505 which was tried – unfortunately it appears it needs a rebuild; it’s electrically very noisy, so I’m guessing a wiring fault. Dammit. OK, lets try something else; SME IV, perhaps…?

This is a very fine turntable. Sorry I’m so, so late (by about 50 years!) to this particular party. Here’s the build spec, for those who are still reading and interested:
    Technics SL-110 turntable
    SME IV tonearm
    Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii
    Konne Design Corian armboard
    Tenuto gunmetal platter mat (borrowed from a Thorens ‘table, where it deputises for the unobtanium brass 's' platter)
    Clearaudio heavyweight puck (not only very effective, but the black/brass/stainless combo looks very smart on this deck as it matches the overall appearance)

In due course I’ll do a proper back-to-back with the other ‘tables here. The main competition is the Phonosophie which has seen off many, many ‘better’ turntables. The rebuilt top-spec TD-521 is no slouch either. So perhaps I’ll come back and update in a few weeks with how we’re getting on. The AT33 I’m currently using is probably not even properly run in yet and I’d like to see whether there’s more in the way of fine-tuning to be done to the set-up.
    Last edited by Steph Dale; 06-04-2024 at 15:47.
    Sources: Phonosophie No.3 (TP90), Ortofon Winfield, Noteworthy Phonote; Thorens TD521s, SME 312s, Tubaphon Tu-2 blue, Audio Research Ph5; Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N
    Amplification: Pathos Logos Mk1.5
    Speakers: Ruark Equinox
    Cables: Chord Sarum (various types/ages)

Portable: Astell+Kern SR35, Sennheiser Momentum 2

In the works: Thorens TD124/ii, SME M2-12r; Technics SL-110, SME IV, Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii; Phonosophie No.2 (TP90), Audio Technica AT33Sa; etc...

I'm Josie.

Oh it's a very nice deck indeed.

I was tempted by one before I opted for my L-07D. Theres nothing like being stylishly late to a party... And the SL-110 can still party.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well done Steph - your patience paid off!

I see you have a Tubaphon TU-2 in your cartridge arsenal. It is based on an EMT moving coil cartridge, the latter of which I have great respect for, and several samples.

Also good luck with the Thorens TD124/II with SME M12R project. I have one of my 124s set up with such an arm, and it's a great combination.
    Barry

I'm Steph.

The Trio L-07D is a splendid thing, but current prices put it firmly out of bounds for an experiment like this - and I'm keeping the TD-521 as my top-flight deck.

I do like an EMT cartridge, I have a couple - the Tu-2 was rebuilt by EMT a couple of years ago and it's in stonking good form - a good match for the SME 312s too. There's also an XSD-15 SFL here ready for the TD 124
    Sources: Phonosophie No.3 (TP90), Ortofon Winfield, Noteworthy Phonote; Thorens TD521s, SME 312s, Tubaphon Tu-2 blue, Audio Research Ph5; Electrocompaniet EMC-1 UP, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N
    Amplification: Pathos Logos Mk1.5
    Speakers: Ruark Equinox
    Cables: Chord Sarum (various types/ages)

Portable: Astell+Kern SR35, Sennheiser Momentum 2

In the works: Thorens TD124/ii, SME M2-12r; Technics SL-110, SME IV, Audio Technica AT33PTG/ii; Phonosophie No.2 (TP90), Audio Technica AT33Sa; etc...

I'm Josie.

The Thorens TD-124 is a lovely deck, good luck with getting that up to speed. There's some stuff on the 124 on my website that you might find interesting when you have time.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread