+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canton CT-1000/2 Three way Speakers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ken.

Default Canton CT-1000/2 Three way Speakers

I heard a set of these at NEBO 14 (North East Bake Off #14) held in Hartlepool February 2024.

mik_rik of this parish had taken them and along with most of the audience, I was blown away by them.

They have sweet highs, fleshed out mids and deep bass, what's not to like.

Canton is not a make I was familiar with, thought they might be Chinese, but no, they are a family owned business in Germany, still going today.

The CT-1000 came in two editions as can be seen in this picture.

The original series had the Mid-range and Tweeter drivers mounted side by side, the mid range had a rear vented chamber and the input terminals were spring loaded.

The second series had the tweeter mounted above the mid range and no vent at the rear. The spring terminals were replaced with proper binding posts.

Both used the same 12" bass driver in a sealed cabinet of the same volume.

Here are some pictures of my series two, though they don't do the finish justice, which for a roughly 1986 product, has been very well looked after. I was on tender hooks waiting for these to arrive, the German seller had no boxes and advertised them as collection only. I arranged for them to be picked up and packed for shipment to the UK and was concerned the finish may not survive the journey. With text book German efficiency, they arrived without a scratch.

These were obviously aimed at competing with the Yamaha NS-1000m, a similar sized 3-Way speaker, using a 12" woofer in a sealed box.
    Having both at my disposal, I would say, the Canton is the better of the two, certainly for home listening, a more relaxed presentation, yet just as dynamic and with a much deeper bass.
    Last edited by Qwin; 03-04-2024 at 14:34.

+ Reply to Thread