+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smaller speakers solution?

I'm Martin.

Neighbours have no grounds to complain if you don't play music after 2300.

You live somewhere with party wall you have to expect a bit of noise. Music is better than a barking dogs or someone's screaming children.

I had neighbours once who were always fighting. I mean chucking crockery about and screaming at the top of their lungs. Fine by me, they can hardly complain about my music when they make that much racket themselves. Never felt guilty about blasting it out there.

One place I lives there were four of us in there all working at the same company. One youth liked to crank up Pink Floyd and play along on his guitar.

The neighbour would come round with his boxer dog to complain. He looked exactly like the boxer dog, just standing on his hind legs. None of the others would answer the door to him, it was always me who had to try and placate him.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

If you like the Lintons then how about Denton 85s, or the new Aura 1s, which PJC seems to be particularly pleased with?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Lawrence.

Good advice about the Denton and the 80th anniversary is cheaper than the 85th if you're on a budget. Not sure what the difference is.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Pete.

rather than sell the lintons....

look at floor isolation ie townshend podiums or isoacoustic gias ....or at the cheep skate end of the range large felt tumble drier balls.

obviously if you want a change of speaker for the sake of a change then these will still help reduce bass injected straight into the floor.

you don't mention how you currently couple the lintons to the floor , but any none constrained layer support will be injecting vibration straight to the frame of the building and allowing your neighbors to enjoy the prodigious bass of the lintons! I use townshend seismic bars, and this allows me to play 10db higher than when the speakers are on spikes or directly on the floor.

I'm Martin.

The vast majority of the sound transfer to neighbour will not be structure borne (vibration)

Raising the speaker off a boundary with feet or whatever will reduce the volume of the bass in the room and therefore in adjacent rooms too. That's how that works. It's not the vibrating structure they will be hearing it's the airborne transfer. You can only fix that with soundproofing which is expensive and probably impractical.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by zanash View Post
    rather than sell the lintons....

look at floor isolation ie townshend podiums or isoacoustic gias ....or at the cheep skate end of the range large felt tumble drier balls.

obviously if you want a change of speaker for the sake of a change then these will still help reduce bass injected straight into the floor.

you don't mention how you currently couple the lintons to the floor , but any none constrained layer support will be injecting vibration straight to the frame of the building and allowing your neighbors to enjoy the prodigious bass of the lintons! I use townshend seismic bars, and this allows me to play 10db higher than when the speakers are on spikes or directly on the floor.
    Another alternative for isolation of speakers which is not so expensive is https://www.hudsonhifi.com/collectio...42761545416902 I use these and they are very good and improve bass focus/definition.

As others have said its not about speaker size more about volume in dB. If your new flat has another below thow a thick large rug down over the flooring whether carpeted or wood, put some fabric wall hangings on the wall the speakers are firing at if it is a shared wall. Best option is to try and rent end trarrace with lounge on outside end of terrace if you can.

If you want to try some other speakers and have the cash these will sound excellent. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285647303...Bk9SR6jamM_QYw
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

If you want to try some other speakers and have the cash these will sound excellent. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285647303...Bk9SR6jamM_QYw
    They look proper, I like the look of them. But you really shouldn't be encouraging Mike to sell the Lintons - his quest for acceptable-sounding speakers that don't make his ears bleed has pretty much propped up this forum since the last century (almost).

My advice Mike - keep the speakers you know and like, and just turn the wick down when your neighbours are at home
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Emporium always charge top dollar for everything.

I would follow Steve's advice: keep the Lintons but just turn the volume down, when listening late at night.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Isn't it really down to the volume that is used? It could be a TV, TV with sound bar, Bose radio......etc etc I have some small Klipsch speakers that can really belt it out, I also have large Klipschs which can do the same. My S-In-Law recently added a "BOOM" bar to his tele which drives me nuts. Could be the way it is set up but everything has bass, music, speech..... The tele is on the party wall of his semi and it must radiate to some extent.

Some people are far more sensitive to this kind of thing and maybe I am one of those. When we were in a semi I waited for them to go out before I used the hifi or used headphones. It's a bit of a minefield IMO.
    Absolutely, guy upstairs playing on his compooter game duz my ed in, but then that's crash bang wallop kill kill
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

That's kinda what i had in mind, thanks.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast