+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smaller speakers solution?

I'm Mike.

Default Smaller speakers solution?

Hello Sounders. I use a Sugden - forgot its name - in my bio - a21 newbie thing - with meridan g08 cd +1210 vinyl, and Wharfedale Lindtons floorstanders. Gonna be moving soon to another flat and don;t want to tannoy the neighbours, aaaah, get it, t-annoy. Anyway, any reccomendations for some small speakers that would still make music decent enough for me but wouldn;t piss off the neighbours so much, will be a flat, so could be downstaris upstairs, fucking sideways, you get the idea. WIsh I could afford a house, fug it, there we go. I still plan on keeping the lintons, but would set up system so the smaller spkrs could be easily brought into use in the evening etc
    Ta.

M&V
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

They may not be easy to find in the UK but I can highly recommend the Martin Logan Motion 2i or the larger 4i. They are limited in terms of bass output but the midrange and treble are exceptional, due to the use of a folded ribbon tweeter. Dynamics are excellent and the sound is very lively. I usemine in a bedroom system where the lack of bass is a virtue.

I'm Geoff.

I'm Rob.

Isn't it really down to the volume that is used? It could be a TV, TV with sound bar, Bose radio......etc etc I have some small Klipsch speakers that can really belt it out, I also have large Klipschs which can do the same. My S-In-Law recently added a "BOOM" bar to his tele which drives me nuts. Could be the way it is set up but everything has bass, music, speech..... The tele is on the party wall of his semi and it must radiate to some extent.

Some people are far more sensitive to this kind of thing and maybe I am one of those. When we were in a semi I waited for them to go out before I used the hifi or used headphones. It's a bit of a minefield IMO.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

I imagined those Lintons still sounding pretty good at low volumes, in any case I'd hold off on doing anything until you are installed in your new place. Maybe get some dog's danglies headphones
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

If you can afford it, then the Harbeth P3ESR are as good as it gets. I have found that if you need to turn the volume down, then just move closer to the speakers. They are phenominal from about 2ft away - spookily good.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Harbeth-p3esr
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mike, your concern about possibly annoying the neighbours is admirable. I like to think that we all are so considerate, which sadly at times is not reciprocated.

But Rob is right - changing the speakers is not necessarily going to be a solution; it's the overall volume level at which they are played.

When you move, introduce yourself to your immediate new neighbours and find out about their lifestyle: if they have small children; if any of them work shifts etc., so you can accommodate it with your listening habits.

The last thing you want is a "loudness war" and to be at loggerheads with the neighbours.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Proper BLH (back loaded horn) speakers don't boom and can take up no more space than compact speakers on stands. They are an acquired taste though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Mike, my understanding from past threads is that you're quite sensitive to and wouldn't be able to tolerate anything that sounds 'toppy' or potentially harsh. And it sounds like you finally arrived at a sound agreeable to you with the Sugden/Lintons, so I wouldn't be messing with that just yet.

As Barry suggests, first get to know your neighbours and their routines, then go from there.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm malcolm.

LS3/5a or similar clone (some clones are quite reasonably priced) as it's generally the low bass that really annoys neighbours. Or if you want real cheap get a pair of old Realistic Minimus 7.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast