Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Yes Chris, I have listened to most gear Glenn has built over the years and owned a fair bit of it myself. My Preamp is indeed a pimped 25R so a regulated preamp but it also has the linestage from the RS which was his top model with non inductive resistors.

Advising as to what to buy is tricky as we all like different things and obviously there is lots of choice with the Croft 25 range. I can only speak for myself but I preferred his regulated preamp but non regulated power amps. The regulation in the preamps controls the sound and focusses it a little more but I felt in the power amps it was a step too far for me and that control nailed things down too much - ie too much control!?

The Series 7 power amp is superb and it drives my very large but efficient speakers very well indeed. When I tried the 7R and the 7R monos things tightened up a bit too much for me. I feel you need the control more in the preamp section rather than the power but that is just my opinion.

However the expansive huge soundstage I get and holographic vocals would suggest something is working well with the Series 7.

But some folk like a standard preamp and regulated power amp. It's a difficult one to advise without you listening to both combinations in your own system which is what I did and that was why I went down the route of 25R + and Series 7.

Hope this helps?
Yes that helps. Did you ever listen to the Croft integrated (which is a passive pre with 7 power amp in one case)? <-- this is what I am after to save shelf space.