+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics SP 10MKII Tonearm

I'm Lee.

Default Technics SP 10MKII Tonearm

My 16 year old son has developed a love for music and is getting very good on the electric guitar.
    I set up a CD and amp for him to listen to and now he wants to get into vinyl. I have decided to give him my Technics SL1200 MKII to get him started.

That means I need to change my TT.

I have a Technics SP10 MKII that I need to start using. I need to buy a plinth or have one made. Advice welcome.

I have a FR54MKII tonearm set aside to use with it. However, I have come across a new AT-1010 for over £900 and mint
    TECHNICS EPA-500 10" Titanium System Tonearm. The Technics arm is about £100 more.

What do the experts on the forum think? Stick with the original plan of the FR54 MKII or go for the Technics EPA 500 or AT1010? Are they priced about right?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Kevin.

What cartridge(s) do you intend to run?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What cartridge(s) do you intend to run?
    I am open to recommendations, for MM or my first MC. Would £500 be enough to match the arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would stick with the FR54 if you are intending to use an MC cartridge. It is perfectly good arm, and IMO, no way inferior to the AT1010 arm.

You also have the opportunity at a later date to replace it with an FR64 arm if you want to use higher mass MC cartridges. The two arms have identical geometry, so are interchangeable. The null radii are the same for the two arms: 59 and 121mm.
    Barry

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I would stick with the FR54 if you are intending to use an MC cartridge. It is perfectly good arm, and IMO, no way inferior to the AT1010 arm.

You also have the opportunity at a later date to replace it with an FR64 arm if you want to use higher mass MC cartridges. The two arms have identical geometry, so are interchangeable. The null radii are the same for the two arms: 59 and 121mm.
    Thanks Barry,
    Do you think the Denon DL301 or one of its variants would be a good match or an AT MC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music

I'm Dave.

Only just spotted this.

I would suggest you stick with the FR54, moving to an AT1010 or Technics are sideways steps at best.

With the money saved you have a wider choice of cartridge. Take a look at Hana.

+ Reply to Thread