+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken stylus!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Richard.

Default Broken stylus!

Our cleaner has just left and I noticed that the Roksan Nima arm was halfway over the turntable and that the stylus on my AT33PTG/11 MC was broken. Trying to get hold of her...but can't at present. Perhaps a mishap with a duster?

Any suggestions for a compatible cartridge for the Nima?

I barely listen to LPs any more so would find it hard to justify an expensive replacement. Perhaps 'moving down' to a MM?

Eclectic music tastes (for a 76yr old!).

Thanks,

R

I'm Steve.

Sorry to hear that Richard.

If you're happy to 'move down' to a MM cart, I have an Ortofon 2M Black you can have for free - the stylus is in good shape and has quite a few miles left on it, more than enough if you only use it occasionally.

Pm me if it's something you could use.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

If you're happy to 'move down' to a MM cart, I have an Ortofon 2M Black you can have for free - the stylus is in good shape and has quite a few miles left on it, more than enough if you only use it occasionally.

Thanks; PM sent.

R

I'm Kevin.

Very kind of you.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Carl.

House insurance usually covers this type of mishap

I'm Richard.

Update: I'd like to publicly thank Steve (AKA Pigmy Pony) for his very kind offer of giving me an Ortofon 2M Black to replace my damaged AT 33PTG/2/MC. I had thought that the AT and the Roksan Nima arm were an extremely good match, but both my wife and I were very, very impressed with the sound of the 2M Black - and I think we prefer it. (Whether the AT was past its best -I don't know -perhaps!). I wonder if the arm (a unipivot) is better suited to MM rather than MC cartridges.

Has anyone any views?

Richard

I'm Steve.

From what I've read it appears that the Ortofon MM carts are a popular choice for the Nima, and the 2MB at 7.2g is well inside the Nima's recommended range. You probably know this already.

Although, as we've discussed, the Black is known to be a bit of an arse to set up perfectly (certainly outside my skill set), the advantage with MM is that you can just swap out the stylus rather than needing a wholesale cartridge change. Ofc you'll know this already too!

Just my 2 pence worth

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Update: I'd like to publicly thank Steve (AKA Pigmy Pony) for his very kind offer of giving me an Ortofon 2M Black to replace my damaged AT 33PTG/2/MC. I had thought that the AT and the Roksan Nima arm were an extremely good match, but both my wife and I were very, very impressed with the sound of the 2M Black - and I think we prefer it. (Whether the AT was past its best -I don't know -perhaps!). I wonder if the arm (a unipivot) is better suited to MM rather than MC cartridges.

Has anyone any views?

Richard
    Hi Richard, this might explain it, I think I have it right, if you take the Effective Mass of your arm and the weight of the AT 33PTG II and its Compliance you will find the resonant frequency to be a bit low at 5.28hz , whereas for the Ortofon is good at just over 7hz. Also the 20 degree tracking angle for the Ortofon may be easier to achieve than the 23 for the AT. Calculator http://mh-audio.nl/Calculators/RF.html

As long as it sounds good that is what matters.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Richard, this might explain it, I think I have it right, if you take the Effective Mass of your arm and the weight of the AT 33PTG II and its Compliance you will find the resonant frequency to be a bit low at 5.28hz , whereas for the Ortofon is good at just over 7hz. Also the 20 degree tracking angle for the Ortofon may be easier to achieve than the 23 for the AT. Calculator http://mh-audio.nl/Calculators/RF.html

As long as it sounds good that is what matters.
    There you go Richard, you are now on Adrian's radar, and that's a good thing Has a lot of experience with cartridge set up, and really knows his stuff.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Adrian.

There you go Richard, you are now on Adrian's radar, and that's a good thing Has a lot of experience with cartridge set up, and really knows his stuff.
    Well I would not say that, just made a lot of ,mistakes along the way, talked to a few who know better and read a bit.

On another note Richard the AT 33PTG II spec has two Compliance figures a static compliance of :-

Static Compliance 40 x 10-6 cm/dyne
    Dynamic Compliance 10 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)

The dynamic compliance is the deflection of the cantilever under a sine wave signal of a given frequency (100hz), however from what I have read this can be misleading, and purely using static is not the best. a good explanation if anyone is interested is here https://nirvanasound.com/wp-content/...arm%20Mark.pdf

Using the Static Compliance gives the 5.28hz, the dynamic one gives as below so may be fine.

Eff. Tonearm Mass : 15.3 g
    Cartridge Mass : 6.9g
    Fastener Mass : 0.5g (a guesstimate)
    Compliance : 10 x 10-6 cm/Dyne

Tonearm Resonant Frequency = 10.56 Hz

But and it is a big BUT, as the cartridge ages and depending on how much it is used the compliance figure will change. I suppose for some cartridges the suspension may harden and thus stiffen and become less compliant, and for others the suspending will weaken becoming more compliant, I think that is correct. If the cartridge is new, is not that old and not used that much then it is likely safe to rely on the manufacturers figure, if not then as the article mentions using a good test record with frequency sweep tests and measuring the output on a computer or scope is probably the only way to be sure.

This is meant to be good - https://www.analogueseduction.net/te...st-record.html I use this one https://www.analogueseduction.net/te...st-record.html
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast