+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab 7000A - output query

I'm Martin.

Probably true, modern B&W are a fairly tough load. It would work but it would be sub-optimal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Probably true, modern B&W are a fairly tough load. It would work but it would be sub-optimal.
    Yeah, that's what Frank Harvey's boys said, too...they did suggest a Denon to me, but it's well out of my range. I could have just about stretched to the circa £1000 for the Audiolab, but £1500 for the Denon was just a few steps too far.

I'm Geoff.

If you really like your current amplifier setup, I'd suggest looking for a possibly easier to drive alternative to the B&W speakers. Failing that, try the B&Ws and see how it goes. It may work out OK. Maybe you can borrow them to test in your system first?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Yeah, that's what Frank Harvey's boys said, too...they did suggest a Denon to me, but it's well out of my range. I could have just about stretched to the circa £1000 for the Audiolab, but £1500 for the Denon was just a few steps too far.
    I'm guessing you don't want to buy a second-hand amp? You could get something suitable for way under a grand that way.

Fair enough if you don't.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you really like your current amplifier setup, I'd suggest looking for a possibly easier to drive alternative to the B&W speakers. Failing that, try the B&Ws and see how it goes. It may work out OK. Maybe you can borrow them to test in your system first?
    I need to go and talk to a dealer, I think.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm guessing you don't want to buy a second-hand amp? You could get something suitable for way under a grand that way.

Fair enough if you don't.
    I don’t mind second hand…everything in my system other than my amp (ironically) was bought used.

I’ve been looking at eBay, but prices all look a bit silly at the moment.

I am sorely tempted to get some used B&Ws and see what I can get out of them.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    I need to go and talk to a dealer, I think.
    If you have an obliging dealer within reach, go for it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

The possible issue with current B&W models is they tune for a 'showroom' response, depending on your taste in presentation this could get a bit wearing over time.

Don't know if you are looking for large or small speakers, these ones are amongst my favourite era of B&W back when they designed for a flat response:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386635487093?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204616724559?

Or a lot cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305351894577?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

The B&W speakers Martin linked to will be excellent. To drive them I'd be inclined to try one of these. It's the same one my brother drives his B&Ws with, which it does without breaking sweat. Built like a tank too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196185218...Bk9SR4ToroOqYw

I gave my old B&W speakers (DM603 S1) to my mate, who runs them with a 70s Sony 30wpc integrated, and they sound not exactly shit, but dynamically dead. No wonder he prefers watching telly these days. Convinced me that having an amp with more than enough welly super important.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Matrix 805 just up for sale here https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...ix-805.288457/

Probably be okay with your existing amp too.

If you want a small two way there's probably still nothing better even today, at least not at that price.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast