+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab 7000A - output query

I'm Phil.

Default Audiolab 7000A - output query

Not sure if amp discussions belong in this area, so please feel free to move this, moderators.

Looking at moving from my Marantz PM6004 (I think,,,can't be arsed to move stuff to see the back of it and confirm, but it's PM6XXX, regardless) to an Audiolab 7000A, which is getting rave reviews.

One question for current owners of the latter - is the output on the rear marked "Power" suitable for outputting to a surround amp?

I have a Yamaha surround amp which just works the centre and rear speakers - it feeds from the Marantz tape output and works really well. Preserves the main set up as stereo without compromising on fidelity, so I'm hoping that the aforementioned output on the Audiolab performs the same function.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm Adam.

No, ‘Power’ is an input and is to use the unit as a standalone power amplifier.

You want the ‘Pre’ output to drive another amplifier.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Thread moved from Analogue Art to Blank Canvas area as it is more appropriate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Sorry, my error…the RCA connections are marked ‘Out’, rather than ‘Power’.

Anyone?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    Nope, sorry, you’re mistaken - the back of the Audiolab has two RCA connections quite plainly marked ‘Out’.

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/collectio...products/7000a
    there's two sets, one is marked pre-out the other is just marked power.

Pre out will let you use it as a pre-amp only - power will let you input from a separate pre-amp thus using the 7000A as a power amp only. 'pre out' is an output, 'power' is an input.

So you can't use 'power' to connect to your Yamaha surround amp.

Pre out should work though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    there's two sets, one is marked pre-out the other is just marked power.

Pre out will let you use it as a pre-amp only - power will let you input from a separate pre-amp thus using the 7000A as a power amp only. 'pre out' is an output, 'power' is an input.

So you can't use 'power' to connect to your Yamaha surround amp.

Pre out should work though.
    Yeah, I corrected my gaff above, Macca….the connection is marked as ‘Out’, not ‘Power’ (‘Power’ connection is next to it).

Makes sense that it would work, but I wanted to get an owner’s input before splurging on something which doesn’ do what I need it to do.

I'm Gary.

Yeah, I corrected my gaff above, Macca….the connection is marked as ‘Out’, not ‘Power’ (‘Power’ connection is next to it).

Makes sense that it would work, but I wanted to get an owner’s input before splurging on something which doesn’ do what I need it to do.
    Phil, you’re wrong, the RCA connections from left to right looking at the rear of the amp are........Pre Out.....Power In.

You can’t use Power In to feed any signal out!

Pre Out will work as an output to your Yamaha processor.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Martin.

I think it is actually marked 'Pre Out' it's just that the 'Pre' is written above the sockets and 'Out' is written below.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Phil, you’re wrong, the RCA connections from left to right looking at the rear of the amp are........Pre Out.....Power In.

You can’t use Power In to feed any signal out!

Pre Out will work as an output to your Yamaha processor.

Gary
    That’s what I said, diddle I?

Yep, it makes sense that would work…it’s just that a grand is a lot to lay out on a “probably”…but it probably will, innit.

I'm Phil.

Had a chat with Frank Harvey Hi Fi today ("Hifix"), who informed that the Audiolab's "Out" connections won't act like a "Tape Out" connection, which kind of sinks the idea stone dead.

Nowt wrong with my current set up, so it's not an emergency...one of my main reasons to replace the Marantz was to be able to power a potential future purchase of B&W speakers, which I've been told repeatedly won't be driven successfully by the Marantz.

Ho-hum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast