+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vinyl is back.....Again!

I'm James.

You have to always keep looking I find as they quietly release stuff and sudden you find it for sale on Amazon as I found out recently!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Decent article. There should be more like it and not the usual lazy retro-is-hip filler each time the sales figures are released.

I think I've made this point before, but IMHO prices since the "vinyl revival" have completely undemocratised vinyl compared with its heyday, when ordinary homes could have records and players.

I get the economics of lower production volume and higher margin but my £4.99 LP as a student in '82 would be equivalent to £20 today and yet as just one example Roxy Music's re-releases appeared in HMV last year for £34.99 each - merely single albums in original sleeve designs and nothing more. That's before you get to the "premium" priced limited coloured vinyl rubbish that can't be properly quality-checked at the plant as well as black vinyl can and so it has more surface faults. And RSD is just a flipper's bonanza - have a look at eBay the day afterwards and don't fall off your chair crying.

It's a disgrace - but consumers have played their part in keeping prices up because so many have been willing to pay.

Until last year, I reckon. I've reduced my new album intake since records simply aren't good value. I think others are feeling the same. We've been gouged. Hell, we've a cost of living crisis and this is a discretionary item. Using HMV as my anecdotal benchmark I notice that their bargain section is now 3 albums for £55, having been 2 albums for £50 a year ago, and it's now got a much wider choice than the old classics like Rumours. I've seen more retailers holding sales on Discogs and labels holding clearout sales on Bandcamp.

I don't think it will all crash one wet Tuesday morning, but I do think the market has started a pricing adjustment in order to sustain itself.

Pete

I'm Martin.

it's a luxury item - I saw today Burberry issuing a profit warning saying luxury goods sector has contracted markedly last six months.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234