+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap good “starter” cassette deck

I'm Ras.

Default Cheap good “starter” cassette deck

Hi guys.
    After exploring this topic I am still undecided to what deck should I go with from present choices on SH market.

This is my temporary selection, but I am open to other advices.

Denon DR-M22 (£90 + £20 petrol)
    Technics RS-B665 (£90 offer + £10 shipping)
    Technics RS-B565 (£80 starting bid +£13 shipping) (clean condition, from house clearance)
    Denon DRM-800 (£110 + £9 shipping)
    Denon DR-M10 (£25 starting bid + £7 shipping)
    Aiwa AD-F850 (£90 just serviced, no original power switch)
    Technics RS-AZ6 (£130 + £16 shipping)
    Yamaha KX-300 (not available atm)
    Yamaha KX-330 (£60)
    Yamaha KX-580SE (£70 + £10 shipping)

Nowadays “cheap” is not extremely cheap like 10-20 years ago, that’s why this topic.

I also would go for Sony ES (QS) range to match my amp, but those are more expensive.

I also found Nakamichi BX-150E for £120, unfortunately no answer at all from seller on FB market.

Most of those players above are not serviced (except one) and all are advertised as fully working.
    Visually mostly in good/ very good shape.

I plan to use original tapes, and perhaps to make some compilations, not many.
    Thus playback quality is perhaps more important to me.
    Also direct drive is appealing, but if simple servicing can be done by myself, why not.

No idea about deeper servicing/ upgrade prices and who does it in South Yorkshire, if you have some knowledge, please share.

It perhaps would be best if the deck will be easy to operate, reliable, and no tricky adjustments for various tapes etc.

Maybe you have some decks to offer too.

Thank you for the comments.

I'm Grant.

the aiwa was fairly decent.. 3 head if memory serves. seems its been serviced so if done right it would be good. ive still got a denon front tray loader; denon stuff was decent too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

I think Yamaha cassette decks are a good option secondhand. They are solid decks and tend to go under the radar so often a bargain.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Andrew.

Just remember that its going to be hard to get these things fixed if they break.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ras.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Just remember that its going to be hard to get these things fixed if they break.
    Yes, that’s why it should be too expensive. That it can be replaced..

I'm Ras.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the aiwa was fairly decent.. 3 head if memory serves. seems its been serviced so if done right it would be good. ive still got a denon front tray loader; denon stuff was decent too
    Thank you, yes, I did some research, from price point, the humble Denon DR-M10 might be sufficient for me. Probably not many people have experience with direct comparison of it and let’s say higher range DR-M22 or newer or other models from list. All of them are tempting, perhaps direct drive ones from Technics also - without problems with belts.. hard choice. If working, but actually unknown condition, would I be able to service it or would it needs to go somewhere for servicing/ adjustments.. additional costs for unknown money. Only DR-M22 is one I can go and check it before purchase. If it would be for £50, I would go for that one..

I'm Ras.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I think Yamaha cassette decks are a good option secondhand. They are solid decks and tend to go under the radar so often a bargain.
    Yes, the people say they are good. I just have a little inner prejudice based on other middle/ lower range of Yamaha other components like CD players and amplifiers.. from what I had chance to listen to.. Like other brands, there is logical compromise in quality/ performance ratio going down from top products. While top ones can be amazing, the compromises down the line can be too much.. that was my feeling regarding Yamaha, who knows, maybe it’s just me..

I'm Grant.

there is a serviced aiwa ad f450 on ebay that looks in decent condition for a ton,, only 2 head but its hard to get a 3 for anywhere near that kind of cash even now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

I think these were not bad, actually pretty good, if you can go to £200

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225931187...Bk9SR8Tj9eCUYw

See https://www.hifidatabase.com/Technics_RS-BX606_2018.php

and
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ras.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    there is a serviced aiwa ad f450 on ebay that looks in decent condition for a ton,, only 2 head but its hard to get a 3 for anywhere near that kind of cash even now.
    Yes, hard to find anything serviced for that price. The servicing adds roughly £100-200 more to unserviced decks, in this case less then that. I guess I need to go with unserviced one, and if I will like it, then look for next solution..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast