+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Treadmills. Anybody use them?

I'm Kevin.

Default Treadmills. Anybody use them?

Since I was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year, I have taken up running.
    I have now progressed to running between 3km and 5km a day, depending on what time I have available.
    The problem is that it is getting dark early, and running on the roads in the local area is dangerous, as they are not all lit at night.

So, I am looking for a treadmill. Thoughts at the moment are the Nordic Track Commercial 1750. Does anybody here have any experience with this type of fitness machine?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

not me tho i did when younger; nowadays i might get called homer

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Kevin

I'm Sean.

I have used treadmills in gyms on and off for many years (decades). I rejoined a gym in the last month, after a nearly 4 year break, to use the treadmills rather than run in the dark before work. I've never had a problem with running on them and find I can get into a rhythm and switch off mentally, I would typically do 6 miles but in years gone by done more. A number of people however have told me they don't like them and find them too boring. My wife will use one grudgingly on holiday but tends to keep her runs shorter than if on road. I don't think they are for everyone and ideally you would try one before buying but that may not be possible.

A tv in front of the treadmill should help with boredom. my gym is a cheap gym with no tvs but I have previously used ones with tv's and it is more bearable, I'm too much of a skinflint to pay premium gym fees these days. I wish the gym was cooler and I sweat much more in the gym than on road so I would recommend you locate it somewhere cool.

I've not used the treadmill you mention but it gets good reviews (t3.com) so should be a good machine. The top speed is way faster than I've ever been able to run.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I know that some people find training on treadmills boring. This is where I am hoping iFIT will come in handy, giving me virtual runs to do.
    Kevin

I'm Martin.

There must be a market for a giant hamster wheel type thing that generates electricity while you run.

or just mechanically turns a clothes dryer or something useful. The Romans did a lot of that sort of thing. Nowadays we just waste the energy we produce by exercising.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm surprised the Chinese haven't set up huge factories with Uigers all running in hamster wheels, they could replace all these coal fired power stations they keep building and reduce their carbon emissions.

I'm assuming that banks of humans running in wheels produces less carbon/methane emissions than coal but that might not be true if you think of all the meat they have to eat to keep fit on top of the CO2 from the exercise they are doing.

On reflection maybe solar panels are better, the Chinese seem to have a glut of those.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm surprised the Chinese haven't set up huge factories with Uigers all running in hamster wheels, .
    we don't know they haven't, it's a big country and a lot of it is off limits.

Saw a show the other week where they were down a Roman mine and they had big hamster wheels to pump the water out.