+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The day - today

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No they probably wouldn't, but at least the presenter was telling it how it was. Probably still is really Ok there was a lot wrong with the olden days, but it's gone too far the other way now, where 'correctness' comes before honesty. And it's not like Ms Stevens and her management didn't know what they were doing
    Sex sells. At least according to that bloke in 'Spinal Tap.'

Yes, sadly we are living in more puritan times, at least ostensibly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Actually thinking about it, it might have been 'Death sells.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Some more historic anniversaries for your delectation:

10 April 1633
    Bananas were displayed in a London shop window - the first time they had been seen in Britain.

10 April 1849
    The safety pin was patented by Walter Hunt of New York - he made it in three hours and later sold the rights for $400 to pay off his debts.

10 April 1970
    Paul McCartney announced he was leaving The Beatles for personal and professional reasons.

Some birthdays:
    Gloria Hunniford, broadcaster, 84
    Paul Theroux, author, 83
    Steven Seagal, actor, 72
    Leslie Garrett, soprano, 69
    Mary Moore, singer/actress, 40.
    Barry

11 April 1732
    Gibraltar and Newfoundland were ceded to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht.

11April 1814
    Napoleon was forced to abdicate- but allowed to retain his title of Emperor - and banished to the Isle of Elba.

11 April 1929
    Popeye made his first appearance as a supporting character in a cartoon strip in William Randolph Hearst's New York papers.

11 April 1951
    President Harry S. Trueman relieved War hero General Douglas MacArthur of his command in the Far Eastin a row over Korea.

11April 1961
    Bob Dylan made his first public appearance in Greenwich Village, New York

Birthdays today:

Jeremy Clarkson TV motoring expert, 64
    Lisa Stansfield, singer, 58
    Cerys Matthews, singer, 55.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-04-2024 at 19:10. Reason: Additions
    Barry

12 April 1606
    The Union Flag became Britain's official flag.

12 April 1954
    Bill Haley recorded Rock Around The Clock, the first record to sell a million alone in Britain alone. It was featured in 14 films and recorded in 35 languages.

Birthdays:

Herbie Handcock, musician, 84
    Andy Garcia, actor, 68
    Claire Danes, actress, 45
    Brian McFadden, singer, 44.
    Barry

15 April 1793
    £5 notes were first issued by the Bank of England.

15 April 1912
    The Titanic sank after striking an iceberg in the North Atlantic on her maiden voyage.

15 April 1942
    The island of Malta was awarded the George Cross for its heroism during German and Italian bombardment.

15 April 1955
    The first McDonald's franchise restaurant was opened by Ray Kroc in Des Plaines, Illinois.

15 April 1989
    Britain's worst football disaster happened at Hillsborough, Sheffield, when 96 fans were crushed to death during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Some birthdays:

Marty Wilde, singer, 85
    Emma Thompson, actress, 65
    Samantha Fox, model/singer, 58
    Ed O'Brien, rock guitarist, 56
    Emma Watson, actress, 34
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Wow, a lot of things happened on 15 April.

I wonder what a fiver could have bought in 1793? More than a sausage barm and a can of pop no doubt.

16 April 1943 - Swiss chemist Dr Albert Hofmann discovers the psychedelic effects of LSD. I don't imagine he got much else done that day. But he stuck with it for most of his life, and lived to a ripe old age of 102.

2006, and just another day at the office for Albert
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

On this day 1964, The Rolling Stones release their debut album, called "The Rolling Stones".

Also, Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham is 50 today.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    On this day 1964, The Rolling Stones release their debut album, called "The Rolling Stones".

Also, Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham is 50 today.
    Well spotted Steve.

17 April 1961
    An attempt by Cuban exiles and US forces to invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs, and overthrow Castro's Communist regime, was driven back.

17 April 1970
    Apollo 13 splashed down safely in the Pacific after a failed moon mission.

17 April 1984
    PC Yvonne Fletcher was shot dead outside the Libyan embassy in central London.

Birthdays:
    Jan Hammer, composer, 76
    Nick Hornby, author, 67
    Sean Bean, actor, 65.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well spotted Steve.

17 April 1961
    An attempt by Cuban exiles and US forces to invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs, and overthrow Castro's Communist regime, was driven back.

17 April 1970
    Apollo 13 splashed down safely in the Pacific after a failed moon mission.

17 April 1984
    PC Yvonne Fletcher was shot dead outside the Libyan embassy in central London.

Birthdays:
    Jan Hammer, composer, 76
    Nick Hornby, author, 67
    Sean Bean, actor, 65.
    I know he might be best known for his "Miami Vice" work, but seeing him mentioned here reminds me I used to have a live album that pre-dated that, by him and Jeff Beck many years ago. I seem to remember quite liking it.

Sod it, just put a bid on a vinyl copy. I should probably prepare to be disappointed.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast