+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCM player advice

I'm Mike.

What does PCM mean? Used to have a Marantz PCM player, sold it for £70 on ebay, even though it was fuct.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

Pulse Code Modulation. All CDs are encoded in PCM. DSD/SACD is different, it's been described as "PDM" although there is some argument around that.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Pulse Code Modulation. All CDs are encoded in PCM. DSD/SACD is different, it's been described as "PDM" although there is some argument around that.
    What does Pulse Code Modulation mean?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

It's basically the way the analogue waveform is reconstructed from the bits (pulses) in the datastream. Think the classic picture of a bar chart approximating a sine wave - the more bits the bigger the bar.

I'm Martin.

The analogue signal has just three properties - frequency, amplitude and phase - the sampling frequency determines the highest frequency that can be encoded, bit depth determines the maximum amplitude that can be encoded.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Thank you fellas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12