+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New listening room

I'm Martin.

There's no hard and fast rules with room tuning as there are just too many variables.

Loudspeaker performance and personal taste in presentation being the two biggest.

For example absorption at first reflection points may narrow the soundstage and if you want wide soundstage this will not be for you. But do the speakers have wide or narrow directivity? This will also affect that decision.

Personally I would not randomly build in any treatment to the construction as if it doesn't work out ripping it out will be a real pain. For a dedicated room where you can do what you like I would start by setting up with normal furnishing, do some extensive listening to adapt myself to the acoustic, and then consider treatments.

Hopefully there will be no low frequency problems so then dealing with the rest of the audio band will be a matter of taste. IME most situations will benefit from diffusion on the wall behind the speakers and absorption on the wall behind the listening position. But nothing about room treatment should be taken as gospel.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

The great thing about room treatment is that you can adapt to your own listening preference.

Good point Martin about adapting to the acoustic first before adding treatment.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

My own view is that as far as mid and high frequencies go ordinary furnishings should get 90 percent of the way there, but bass issues are a whole different ballgame.

One problem is the modern trend for minimalist living doesn't equate to 'ordinary furnishing' - no carpet, no curtains, no bookshelves, bare walls, no clutter etc. None of that helps sound quality. Those warm, inviting sounding systems of the 1970s sounded that way at least in part to the furnishing style of the times.

Lots of HF bouncing around is never pleasant even when just conducting a conversation with someone. We don't adapt to that. Regrettably many ascribe their 'brightness' problem to the electronics and/'or the loudspeakers and start trying to fix it with valves, or cables, or NOS DACs and so on, which doesn't work. (Okay, it can be that sometimes the loudspeakers are at least partly to blame).

My advice is always - get some stuff in your room!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mika.

Wise words. Good luck with the project and keep the pics coming
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Robin.

Well after several delays the room is nearly complete, just starting to set everything up again. When everything was on a rock I had no issues with cable lengths but there are now a couple of challenges.

Two choices

Leave the turntable in the middle and purchase some longer cables

Or move the amp to the middle.

Decisions decisions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm James.

I think the TT looks great in the middle.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

nice looking unit robin... whatever you like is way to go. meantime try it another way so it fits then decide
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    nice looking unit robin... whatever you like is way to go. meantime try it another way so it fits then decide
    Got from it Ikea , very happy with it so far, I have swapped things around to have look prefer the turntable in middle but going to swap the Phono stage and Arcam over
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the TT looks great in the middle.
    Cheers, I agree
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Well after several delays the room is nearly complete, just starting to set everything up again. When everything was on a rock I had no issues with cable lengths but there are now a couple of challenges.

Two choices

Leave the turntable in the middle and purchase some longer cables

Or move the amp to the middle.

Decisions decisions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Robin, very envious of the dedicated listening room. looks good, if only I could do similar.

One thing you might want to consider for the TT is this to get better oscillation, I have done so with mine and it gained slightly better clarity and improved soundstage separation and focus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08X3L3M...sin_title&th=1

use this under to stop slippage https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042AHC...t_b_asin_title

I also put Phono stage and CD player on https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/aptitli...mboo-00233429/ with anti-slip under.

I had read up on this and quite a few on this and other forums do similar. It's not expensive and worth it IMHO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast