+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2024 system upgrade predictions?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I'm going to do the same as I do every year and that is to evolve / improve ( ) what I already own. I like the idea of going through an audio journey with my favourite kit, I'm too emotionally attached to my gear, it's a love affair. I don't really gauge "how good something" is, for me. it's more about how it makes me feel. My kit makes me feel very happy! So, for me I'm not ruling out buying more kit as that's always an option but it has to be something that works with the gear I already own. Apologies for the verbose nature of this reply.
    You started on the vino early?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    To be honest over the past few years I have tried a lot of gear in my system and it has been one step forward two steps back! So I have ended up staying where I am and I am very satisfied with what I am hearing.

I know we should always try and move forward but I would have to spend £2000 - £5000 on my analogue rig to get any really noticeable improvements.

However I am always deeply disatisfied with my digital set up so there is plenty of room for improvement there, probably just need a better DAC but I would also like to try a decent CDT + DAC. My FBA via Audirvana sounds very good but I think it is probably held back by the DAC. May go for a Topping like yours although I have been considering an SMSL C100.

I know there are plenty of £1000 + DACs that would also hit the spot should I really want to invest in digital including the Gustard R26 and the RME you mentioned gets good reviews. I am always watching but have not bitten yet but I will- maybe next year!

I don't really want to spend much on digital as 90% of my listening is still vinyl. Maybe that would change if I nailed a better digital system?
    Ordered the dampers yet?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Maybe to use more of the extensive collection of audio gear I have and to play more of my record collection.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Ordered the dampers yet?
    I might try and make some!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Gary.

Aside modding equipment I already have, the last big jump I made was with my vinyl setup.
    My Rega deck wasn't giving me the vinyl "fizz" so swung onto a Pro-Ject fully balanced system, which Im enjoying a lot more - so vinyl's done I think.
    Possibly a Cartridge upgrade and new Mat down the line - a la Michael Fremer's review of my X8 turntable , but Im delighted with what Im hearing and enjoying buying vinyl again.

As are the amps,Dac and speakers I think, happy where i am.
    Would need to spend big to get noticable diminishing returns improvement, and there are other priorities.

Only thing I've pencilled in is a "proper" streaming setup?
    Im currently running Roon on a repurposed PC and using my Oppo as a Roon Endpoint.
    Sounds fantastic, no complaints, but want to improve my digital, so will invest and build a "hardcore" Roon Server and pick up a new "Network Transport" to replace the Oppo.

Have a particular Streamer in mind, will take a some months of living off toast n beans for a while, but as always thats ok.
    Started saving, and looking at middle of 2024 for that all going well.

Never know what's round the corner though, but thats the plan at least.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-10-2023 at 13:26.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Aside modding equipment I already have, the last big jump I made was with my vinyl setup.
    My Rega deck wasn't giving me the vinyl "fizz" so swung onto a Pro-Ject fully balanced system, which Im enjoying a lot more - so vinyl's done I think.
    Possibly a Cartridge upgrade and new Mat down the line - a la Michael Fremer's review of my X8 turntable , but Im delighted with what Im hearing and enjoying buying vinyl again.

As are the amps,Dac and speakers I think, happy where i am.
    Would need to spend big to get noticable diminishing returns improvement, and there are other priorities.

Only thing I've pencilled in is a "proper" streaming setup?
    Im currently running Roon on a repurposed PC and using my Oppo as a Roon Endpoint.
    Sounds fantastic, no complaints, but want to improve my digital, so will invest and build a "hardcore" Roon Server and pick up a new "Network Transport" to replace the Oppo.

Have a particular Streamer in mind, will take a some months of living off toast n beans for a while, but as always thats ok.

Never know what's round the corner though, but its my plan at least.
    Always good to have a plan even if you not stick with it. Good to have something to look forward too.

I'm Gary.

100%.

Shall see how it plays out James,
    Worse case I have what I already have, and Im not complainin'

Been lucky enough to have been able to get the "wireless" to where it is, so its all good.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Steve.

Never know what's round the corner though, but thats the plan at least.
    That's what posh people call beans on toast. But I stick an egg on top of mine, and some HP sauce, so I'm sort of posh too

Just had a look at the Project X8, looks proper. Do you know how much improvement you're getting from it being balanced outs? Seems to be a feature only on really expensive t/ts.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

100%.

Shall see how it plays out James,
    Worse case I have what I already have, and Im not complainin'

Been lucky enough to have been able to get the "wireless" to where it is, so its all good.
    I am very close to a dealer down the road who sells PS Audio gear amongst others. Those monster BHK power amps look very tasty. I do pop in regularly so may ask if I could borrow one to have a listen. Most are monos some some serious heavy lifting especially with the 600s!!!

I'm Gary.

I'm a bit posh too Steve

IN OTHER NEWS
    See you run an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge as well?
    What settings for load/impedance etc do you run?

BACK ON PROGRAM
    Short answer to the benefits of going fully balanced with the Pro-Ject setup (Turntable, Tonearm XLR cable and balanced input phonostage)
    is a big fat YES.

Longer answer?

Going fully balanced with Vinyl is a gamechanger.
    Pro-Ject has this one spot on.

Selling my Rega P10 was a bit of a knee wobbler?
    The Rega had replaced a Michell (G)Orbe with all upgrades and even whilst fitted with an SME V the Rega, well...just sounded better.
    A deck for life surely, I mean its a P10?

Over time though I realised I had lost the vinyl "magic" (not warmth and nostalga, but that direct connection with the music vinyl playback done well can do), and instead I had an excellent forensic "instrument" which on 90% on my loved LPs sounded like a very good crystal clear digital recording.
    But no goosebumps or hairs on the back of my neck.

My Moment of Clarity was when I wondered if I'd need to buy Rega's 4K+ phono stage to get that magic back.

The Project X8, fully balanced is noticably better than the Rega, as in a LOT better.
    Had an issue originally with the balanced cable I bought and had to get it replaced, (Shout out to Lee at Yorkshire AV for great Service), so ran the deck with the supplied RCA cable for a while.

Going "normal" unbalanced via RCA just lost a lot of the magic deck was doing.
    It was like downgrading the turntable, very good but just a bit "meh".
    there is SOMETHING about going balanced that from experience is "Sit upand take notice" good.

In hindsight selling the Rega P10 was exactly what I needed to do?
    To free up funds for Pro-Ject's fully balanced solution.
    Not sure about other balanced turntable solutions, but what Pro-Ject has done here is a game changer as I said.

Before I pulled the trigger I read what reviews I could find of it,
    all were genuinely shocked at the improvement going balanced.
    and it was Jummy Hughes' review of the exact setup I have (TT and Phonostage) and his comments on how shocked he was going balanced that made me pull the trigger.

Another guy's Hifi opinions I respect is Michael Fremer.
    A big turntable and zero bullshit guy - and it was his review along with Jimmy Hughes' that made me make the jump.
    Fremer's take was that the deck had the capacity to be a great deck "as is" but has the capacity to take carts costing more than the deck itself and compete with ultra high end decks.
    And he's used to dealing with 6 figure Turntables.

In another review, Ken Kessler's, said the lower Tier Pro-Ject X2 and its matching phono stage, ran fully balanced, got "dangerously close" to his 40K vinyl front end.

All I needed to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That's what posh people call beans on toast. But I stick an egg on top of mine, and some HP sauce, so I'm sort of posh too

Just had a look at the Project X8, looks proper. Do you know how much improvement you're getting from it being balanced outs? Seems to be a feature only on really expensive t/ts.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-10-2023 at 15:42.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast