+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggested speakers for 16 ohm 300B Amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Tannoy Reds are not so dear and 16 ohm if I recall. There was a ten inch version which may not be too stratospherically priced. Many will have gone to Japan though, there's a big following there.
    thanks reds would certainly be more affordable...
    Klimax DS/3,Lp12,Keel,Aro,Radikal/1,Kandid & Tron Seven (Ultimate) Klimax Kontrol/1,Solos/1 & Akurate 242's (mark 3)

I'm Martin.

Here's the 15 ohm LS3/5a https://dougbradyhifi.com/products/r...ls3-5a-classic

£2.8K - obviously clean SPL will be limited with an 8 watt amp as hardly the most sensitive speaker, with subwoofers and a high pass filter it might work okay.

Leak Sandwich are 15 ohm and not expensive although they're not that great IMO.

I think some old Goodman's models were 15 ohm? Geoff might know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think some old Goodman's models were 15 ohm? Geoff might know.
    Anything pre about 1968 may well be and Celestion and Wharfedale too.

As to the question of using a 16 ohm matched amplifier, it may well drive 8 ohm speakers that are an easy load perfectly well. If it doesn't like a particular speaker, it may make 'rude noises', but is unlikely to be damaged, unlike a transistor amp. I'd certainly try it myself.

Do a bit of Googling, you'll see what I'm saying, impedance mismatches with valve amplifiers are generally not a big deal. I'd avoid OTL types though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Anything pre about 1968 may well be and Celestion and Wharfedale too.

As to the question of using a 16 ohm matched amplifier, it may well drive 8 ohm speakers that are an easy load perfectly well. If it doesn't like a particular speaker, it may make 'rude noises', but is unlikely to be damaged, unlike a transistor amp. I'd certainly try it myself.
    i sold a great set of 16 ohm celestion rola i put in wharf cabs.. they sounded rather good to me with right amplification. think they ended up out east where they have a following.

i replaced the badges with rola ones i got made too

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Do a bit of Googling, you'll see what I'm saying, impedance mismatches with valve amplifiers are generally not a big deal. I'd avoid OTL types though.
    I agree not going to harm anything by trying. Most modern speakers won't be suitable though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

You never know how things may work out. My vintage KEFs are only about 83db/watt sensitivity, but my 4 watt Class A valve amp drives them to useful levels in my small listening room, with enough output to suggest the setup would be OK in a roomier environment.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

You never know how things may work out. My vintage KEFs are only about 83db/watt sensitivity, but my 4 watt Class A valve amp drives them to useful levels in my small listening room, with enough output to suggest the setup would be OK in a roomier environment.
    What valves does your 4W amp use Geoff?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What valves does your 4W amp use Geoff?

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk
    6V6 Lawrence.

I'm Lawrence.

6V6 Lawrence.
    Sorry just saw this, I'm not familiar with those valves how do they compare with 300Bs?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sorry just saw this, I'm not familiar with those valves how do they compare with 300Bs?
    No idea, not done the comparison directly. I have heard 300B amps though and would say there is a difference. The 6V6 is popular in the States in guitar amps for its pleasing 'tone' apparently. I'd heard the rumours and decided to try it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast