+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME M2-12R Tonearm how to lower arm lift rest.

I'm Paul.

Default SME M2-12R Tonearm how to lower arm lift rest.

Hi all I have a bit of an issue in that on my SME M2-12R the arm lift rest is very close to the tonearm when playing records.Its not touching but is very close.
    Raising VTA doesnt help as the whole arm lift mechanism moves with the arm & I have lowered the rest as much as possible using a .90mm allen key as per SME's instructions.
    Is there any other way of lowering the mechanism itself not by much just enough to take it a bit further away from the tonearm..

thanks for any feedback...
    Klimax DS/3,Lp12,Keel,Aro,Radikal/1,Kandid & Tron Seven (Ultimate) Klimax Kontrol/1,Solos/1 & Akurate 242's (mark 3)

I'm Adam.

I’ll be honest, every modern 12” SME arm I’ve ever encountered has had exactly the same issue.

As they’ve only been passing through my hands as review items, I’ve never looked closely into it, so I’d be intrigued to know what the solution is.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm John.

Between the red lines is an access hole. Using a suitable 0.89 A/F hexagon key the height of the lift/lower can be adjusted, with great care.

Clockwise to decrease height and anti-clockwise to increase height.

A small amount of turning must be done as it's very easy to overdo it as I found and had to return my V to SME.

Your arm will have the same feature of adjustment as does my M2-9.
    Last edited by prestonchipfryer; 01-09-2023 at 14:08. Reason: extra wording
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Paul.

Hi thanks have done that but with a .90mm allen key and it won't turn anymore so assuming its as low as it will go ...it just lowers the rest I think which is now about 1 mm above the mechanism

thanks
    Klimax DS/3,Lp12,Keel,Aro,Radikal/1,Kandid & Tron Seven (Ultimate) Klimax Kontrol/1,Solos/1 & Akurate 242's (mark 3)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use an SME M2-12R tonearm along with other SME 3000 series arms. In all cases, when mounted on an armboard for the Thorens 124 turntable, if the arm lift is lowered, there is a 1mm clearence between the pad of the arm lift and the underside of the arm tube. What is the clearence with your setup?

I can only assume the arm board for your turntable is very low relative to the turntable platter: on my Thorens it is 27mm.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I use an SME M2-12R tonearm along with other SME 3000 series arms. In all cases, when mounted on an armboard for the Thorens 124 turntable, if the arm lift is lowered, there is a 1mm clearence between the pad of the arm lift and the underside of the arm tube. What is the clearence with your setup?

I can only assume the arm board for your turntable is very low relative to the turntable platter: on my Thorens it is 27mm.
    I would say the distance between the arm & rest on mine is about the same but that seems very close...havn't measured the height to the platter but its a Garrard 401 so is quite high

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In my over 50 years experience and use of an SME arm with the Thorens TT, I have never had a problem with the 1mm clearence between arm lift pad and the underside of the arm. 1mm may look close, but is perfectly adequate.

However I agree, the current adjustment mechanism is IMO inferior to that of earlier 3000 series arms, where with the latter, the arm lif/lower mechanism can be positioned anywhere in height between the arm bedplate collar and the top of the arm pillar.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread