+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Monitor Gold 12RS - Full Restoration & New Balmoral Style Cabinet Build

I'm Gerard.

Default Tannoy Monitor Gold 12RS - Full Restoration & New Balmoral Style Cabinet Build

In early June, I made the decision to have my Tannoy Monitor Gold 12RS fully restored and new cabinets built.

I purchased the Golds around 10 years ago along with the original crossovers, strangely only one of the crossovers had been worked on previously (a re-cap and the other was untouched).

Cosmetically, the driver’s had the usual doping stains - in addition ‘teenagers’ had applied greasy stains whilst partying several years ago – the drivers really didn’t look good!

I contacted Frank (@cooky) re the work and sent him pictures of the state the drivers were in.

The teenagers handy work was giving Frank cause for concern; however, we needn’t have worried . . .

I drove over to Frank’s place with the drivers, discussed the options and decided on the following work:

• Drivers - clean up and cone surface refurbishment.

• Crossovers – we decided against new crossovers and to recap the originals where necessary.

• Terminals: Swap for new binding posts.

• Cables: Purchase and fit Gold plated ‘new build’ 4 Pin Tannoy speaker plugs with new wires.

I contacted Fraser (@fraserking) a cabinet maker and long-time friend of Frank’s to ask if he would consider building some new cabinets and Frank made a start on the drivers . . .

First up, the cones and dust caps were coloured. The rubber surrounds were cleaned, and rubber restorer applied. When cleaning the rubber an incredible amount of tobacco stain came off – these obviously belonged to a heavy smoker in the past.

Frank needn’t have worried the results he obtained were excellent, and the drivers were now looking great, Night & Day:

Next up the crossovers, Frank found capacitor mismatches, here’s a picture of opened crossovers before re-cap.

So new Clarity cap ESA were fitted for HF, and to preserve the use of electrolytics Alcaps were fitted to the bass section.

New Jantzen speaker terminals were fitted to replace the poor-quality original binding posts. The diagonal corners of crossover bodies were secured with Allen bolts, 2 brass bushes transferred from other crossover so they matched and new velvet applied to bases. New crossover cable with gold plated Tannoy 4 pin plug fitted. New crossover cable with gold plated Tannoy 4 pin plug fitted.

The existing gaskets did not look good and were too tall.

New gaskets were needed, Tannoy ones are no longer available, and regardless a lower profile was sought for any new replacement. In addition, the existing clamp screws protruded quite high, and any new arrangement needed to deal with this. Frank’s solution was to build a new thinner gasket out of two layers of 3mm gasket. To stop the clamp screws causing any bumps in the top face of this thinner gasket cuts were made in the underside of the lower layer.

The new completed gasket, in this photo you clearly see the work Frank has done restoring the rubber of the surround on the 12" Gold RS.

The HF drivers were stripped, cleaned, and re-aligned.

All tested and good frequency match found for Tanoy’s – ignore response below 1kHz, drivers in free air.

Great work by Frank and all now ready for Fraser King . . .
    Last edited by Gerard124; 19-08-2023 at 14:43.

I'm Gerard.

My existing cabinets were based on the dimensions of Chatsworth cabinet (volume 83 Litres), I was looking forward for something taller, more wife friendly and with grills.

After discussing the options with Fraser King, we decided on the following for the build:

Balmoral Style Cabinets

Size (Excluding Plinth) = 98cm High x 42cm Wide x 38cm Deep

Plinth = 35mm High

Material = Walnut MDF with Osmo finish

Ply internal carcass

Ply internal Bracing

Cabinets lined with dead sheet and new internal foam

Recessed Port - Black

Grill Cloth - Speckled Grey

Circular Tannoy Badges

I drew up some plans

Fraser set to work and regularly sent pictures as the build proceeded:

First Fraser visited the timber yard to ensure the Walnut MDF had a decent grain suitable for the project.

Osmo oil applied

Previewing the Speckled Grey grill cloth with an earlier prototype Tannoy Badge

Foam and dead sheet going in

It's worth mentioning that when we were designing/specifying the cabinets Fraser couldn't find any ports 'off the shelf' anywhere that weren't either cheap looking
    or ridiculously enormous e.g. 100mm internal pipe with a massive flare of 150mm that was going to dominate the baffle and just look so wrong.

So what did we do? Fraser made hand made ports that are more or less the same size as the dust caps and I think he absolutely nailed it aesthetically.

Fraser had Tannoy badges made at an engravers, and I decided not to have the logo painted.

MDF front grill with cuts out for driver and port and drilled for pegs.

Last edited by Gerard124; 19-08-2023 at 15:44.

I'm Gerard.

Fraser drove up to Frank’s place with the completed cabinets for installation of the drivers, testing, port tuning, glue backs in cabinets, listening etc.

The following day I drove over to Frank’s to meet Fraser and collect the speakers.

The speakers looked fantastic, we went on to have a good old listening session and they sounded bloody gorgeous.

Later that day, the speakers were in place in their new home.

I’d like to thank Frank and Fraser for the great skill, care, and attention to detail shown when restoring and building my new speakers.

Thanks Lads, all the best.

Gerard
    Last edited by Gerard124; 19-08-2023 at 14:40.

I'm Lloyd.

Great thread very inspirational
    A widower finding solace in music

I'm Gerard.

Cheers!

We all but a lot of effort into getting everything perfect.

I'm Adrian.

They look great Gerard a credit to you all, I bet they sound good too.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

proper job...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Top job Ged, although nothing more than I would expect from Frank, he certainly knows his stuff and is an absolute credit to our hobby. ( he rebuilt my 15" K series drivers about 4 years ago and I am still delighted with the results)
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Top job Ged, although nothing more than I would expect from Frank, he certainly knows his stuff and is an absolute credit to our hobby. ( he rebuilt my 15" K series drivers about 4 years ago and I am still delighted with the results)
    Thanks Andy

Good to hear from you, how's it going?

I'm delighted with the work Frank & Fraser both did for me! As you say they are credit to the hobby.

Cheers

Ged

I'm Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    They look great Gerard a credit to you all, I bet they sound good too.
    Thanks, and yes they sound great!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast