+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for Spendor SA1 alternatives please!

I'm Anthony.

Default Suggestions for Spendor SA1 alternatives please!

I recently took a pair of Spendor SA1 (the original ones produced from about 1976 to the late 1980s) out of storage and found them way more accurate and engaging (especially on vocals), as compared to a pair of old 15ohm LS3/5a I was listening to previously.

This has got me wondering. Have any of you come across any other speakers of a similar nature to the SA1 (i.e. bookshelf sized, BBC styled superior midrange presentation, era of manufacture and price to performance ratio) which I could explore?

A bit more detail of what I am looking for. I also own a pair of early Spendor BC1, which despite their shortcomings also share that elusive lush all enveloping BBC midrange presentation with the SA1 and LS3/5a. I've tried other slightly more modern speakers in the BBC vein such as the Harbeth P3 (original) and P3-ES but found them lacking that elusive lush all enveloping midrange, thus my preference for something pre 1990 (preferably pre 1980 I suspect).

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by wombatt; 13-08-2023 at 03:40.

I'm Martin.

I don't know if they will have what you are looking for but the JPW AP3 and AP2, to me, have that similar balance to the BBC derived speakers, but do it better.

Also the B&O 120.2 (which I use on my TV) remind me of the Harbeth type BBC speakers but better in the mids, being a three-way.

Anyway a couple you can check out, you might well disagree with me when you have.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anthony.

Many thanks for the suggestions, Macca, will keep an eye out for the JPW AP2, since the other 2 are a bit too large for my current purposes!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by wombatt View Post
    Many thanks for the suggestions, Macca, will keep an eye out for the JPW AP2, since the other 2 are a bit too large for my current purposes!
    Great speakers the JPW AP2 and AP3, watch for degraded bass unit surrounds. Can be replaced though.
    Spendorman

I'm Mike.

+ Reply to Thread