+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprising Covers! What makes a great cover record?

I'm Geoff.

Default Surprising Covers! What makes a great cover record?

Recently, whilst building up a playlist of my favourite music covers, I got to thinking about what makes a good cover record. For me, it certainly does not include a slavish replication of the original artist's work. There has to be something new, which if it does not surpass the musical performance of the original artist, at least distinguishes itself as something of merit in its own right. This might entail a superior vocal or instrumental performance. Very occasionally, it might be a superior technical recording of an otherwise good performance.

In most cases, however, I find that I am drawn to covers that reveal a new insight into the lyrics, or which achieve a new level of emotional engagement. What repeatedly surprises me is how often I find myself liking a song that I was previously unimpressed with or even actively disliked.

I would be interested to hear other members thoughts on the subject, and any suggestions for my Surprising Covers Playlist.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 03-08-2023 at 04:48.

I'm James.

Although I am not usually drawn to cover records occasionally I do buy the odd one but predominantly because I like the artist foremost. This will determine if I think there would be any chance of enjoying the material they cover if that makes sense?

Two covers I find compelling in this instance are Shelby Lynne - Album "A Little Loving" which are Dusty Springfield covers. Also one track Agnes Obel did on her first album Philharmonics. The track is Close Watch which is a cover of a John Cale track - haunting stuff.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

This is quite a recent one, a cover of Doris Day's "Que Sera Sera" by The Pixies. Quite dark and a bit sinister, rather like the TV series it was used in.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p&opi=89978449
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' is my favourite cover, even Bob said "it's Jimi's song"!

Eva Cassidy improved on some originals with her covers, beautifully done.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' is my favourite cover, even Bob said "it's Jimi's song"!

Eva Cassidy improved on some originals with her covers, beautifully done.
    Agreed!

I also like Joan Baez's covers of Dylan songs on her LP 'Any Day Now'.
    Barry

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' is my favourite cover, even Bob said "it's Jimi's song"!.
    My favourite Hendrix song bought the 45 when it came out (Track Label) still have it somewhere in the loft. The other is Little Wing by the Corrs a live/studio version with audience. I only picked up the DVD years ago as it was dirt cheap. SQ is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQsh8nxtnc
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Agree about Shelby Lynne. Hugely ambitious setting out to cover Dusty though her versions are very close to the originals. My favourite on that album is Breakfast in Bed. Really like her cover of Into My Arms by Nick Cave.

Hendrix could make any song his own just by the inventiveness and fluidity of his guitar playing. Hey Joe and Wild Thing are probably some of my favourites.

Eva Cassidy was a great re-interpreter of songs. I particularly like her version of American Tune. Joan Baez, Judy Collins, and Barb Jungr also fall into that category. There are many female jazz vocalists who have re-recorded much of the American Songbook. Janet's Seidel covered many artists including the aforementioned Doris Day. Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen McCrea, Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Julie London are also top re-interpreters. On the male side Tony Bennet and Sinatra are strong contenders.

One of my favourite artists, who I have seen several times live, is Richard Shindell. His album South of Delia is an absolute gem!
    Last edited by Sherwood; 03-08-2023 at 09:29.

I'm Geoff.

On a sad note, I wonder how many remember this quirky cover of Dana?😱😱😱

https://youtu.be/s8oqKyVW978

I'm Graeme.

So many really interesting covers to choose from.

How about: War Pigs covered by The Dresden Dolls, Highway '61 Revisited covered by P.J. Harvey, Boredom covered by Concerto Caledonia, Life on Mars covered by Claire Martin, I could go on...

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    So many really interesting covers to choose from.

How about: War Pigs covered by The Dresden Dolls, Highway '61 Revisited covered by P.J. Harvey, Boredom covered by Concerto Caledonia, Life on Mars covered by Claire Martin, I could go on...
    Claire Martin is highly underrated. She is one of those who can put their own imprint on Jazz Standards. Same true of Carol Kidd, Clare Teal, Stacey Kent, and of course, Diana Krall. I particularly like Stacey Kent's version of I've Grown Accustomed to his Face.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast