+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Insiders And Their Nonsense

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't dream of paying more than £50 for a pair of interconnects (which is why I make up my own), yet have paid £1,000 for a cartridge and a couple of thousand or more for preamps or CDPs; all of which were 'pre-owned'.

In the past, I used (then) 'state of the art' (film) cameras, costing thousands for travel photography, but I now use a fairly cheap digital camera of adequate quality.

Whereas my contemporaries run around in performance-tuned Mercedes and Audi cars, yet possess very modest audio systems, or none at all.

So it all depends on your interests and how you want to spend your money.
    Barry

I'm James.

You couldn't buy a performance tuned Mercedes for the price some speakers and turntables are going for nowadays!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dave.

The problem is they have become the norm in various Hi-Fi mags.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The problem is they have become the norm in various Hi-Fi mags.
    Your right, the problem being many of the mags and reviewers have lost sight of reality and what most of the real world can afford. They have fallen down the bling rabbit hole and think its all about "aspirational" products and going along with reviewing the esoteric mega bucks equipment thinking that this is what folk want to read about.

The first thing I do is look at the price and then my interest in the review is usually over.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Your right, the problem being many of the mags and reviewers have lost sight of reality and what most of the real world can afford. They have fallen down the bling rabbit hole and think its all about "aspirational" products and going along with reviewing the esoteric mega bucks equipment thinking that this is what folk want to read about.

The first thing I do is look at the price and then my interest in the review is usually over.
    That’s fair enough, yet your signature suggests you’re not using an entry-level turntable into cheap Bluetooth speakers, which is something many are happy with.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    That’s fair enough, yet your signature suggests you’re not using an entry-level turntable into cheap Bluetooth speakers, which is something many are happy with.
    I can understand some of your postings here Adam. It is your livelihood after all, but I think you're in denial about the state of the audio magazine sector. I used to read Hi-Fi News avidly since my Dad started buying it in the late 1960s. I gave up on it after about 40 years when it started getting really silly. I don't even give it a second glance now on the rare occasions that I see it on a magzine rack these days. I know that there's nothing in there of the slightest interest to me.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    I can understand some of your postings here Adam. It is your livelihood after all, but I think you're in denial about the state of the audio magazine sector. I used to read Hi-Fi News avidly since my Dad started buying it in the late 1960s. I gave up on it after about 40 years when it started getting really silly. I don't even give it a second glance now on the rare occasions that I see it on a magzine rack these days. I know that there's nothing in there of the slightest interest to me.
    My experience exactly!
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    No much of my system is not entry level but much of the gear is second hand and in total would not cost as much as one of your high end cartridges. Most of the stuff reviewed in the magazines nowadays seems to a have component prices far exceeding what the average person could afford. It may make entertaining reading but that is far as it goes. Like I say I look at the price first and then stop reading. That's why I have stopped reading the magazines and in fact stopped watching most Youtube content.

Hifi is now entertainment but not in the way it was intended.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-08-2023 at 09:25.

I'm Adam.

Default Industry Insiders And Their Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    And, believe me, i completely understand the point of view that is being made here - for many, an expensive piece of hi-fi equipment is a complete non-starter.

The trouble is, from meeting people at hi-fi shows and some of the letters we get into the magazine, there are more than enough buyers out there to keep the high end going, especially when you look outside the UK. Much as it might come as a disappointment to people, a few hundred people on a couple of UK hi-fi forums do not represent the average high end hi-fi buyer. Equally, the point has been made about the financial state of the world. Unfortunately, those who can afford the really expensive stuff will nearly always be able to afford it. When crunches come, it's actually the middle ground that suffers , as budget items will always be popular and those who can afford to drop £8000 on a Koetsu cartridge or £50,000 on a SME Model 60 are likely to be largely immune to financial market perturbations.

Finally, Jimbo mentioned entertainment - well, why not treat a magazine as such? Most here know I'm a committed petrol-head but i have absolutely zero interest in buying a car magazine to read a review of the latest electric Corsa or the new budget-busting model from Dacia. The new Aston Martin DB12, though? Hell, yes - I want to read all about that, even though the chances of me ever owning one are also absolutely zero! A little dreaming never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by Beobloke; 03-08-2023 at 10:10.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

i never by mags of any sort as im not that interested in a paid promotion, which many are(not saying yours' are), but it can be hard to distiguish at times. that goes for all reviews really. i do look at online reviews but take them with a large pinch of salts. even customer reviews are often all a con of things like amazon etc.

so best way is a site like this where its mostly enthousiasts who are giving their opinions.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast