+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shure SC35C + JICO SAS/S experiment

I'm Andrew.

Default Shure SC35C + JICO SAS/S experiment

The Shure SC35C + JICO/S stylus - a few early notes = PART I

This combo is something that I decided I wanted to try after I had the Shure M55e and JICO SAS/S stylus combo. I was hugely impressed with the M55e combo and rather being a bit ham fisted knackered the SAS/S stylus. Anyways, after a little research I decided to try the SC35C, something which was used as a broadcast cartridge and comparable (to an extent) to the later shue V15 models. My sample has been modded in that I decided to add a PARADOX aluminium body, maybe not the best option but further experimentation may be needed here. This SC35C still needs another 10 hours or so usage to bed in, currently I would estimate its probably had about 30 hours. My speakers are an old pair of IMF Supercompact II's which have been slightly modded in that I have recapped them and replaced the speaker binding posts with some solid copper jobbies. The caps on the speakers have bedded in, they have had well over 100 hours so the sonic output should be stable. This experiment was originally started to look for a cheaper alternative than a Ortofon 2M black (2MB). I reviewed the 2MB in my third hi-fi system extensively earlier in the year and concluded it was the finest MM cartridge I'd ever heard, albeit with a few caveats, mainly, it was a PITA to set up and was very prone to excessive surface noise, but the sonic presentation more than compensated for these minor issues.

Currently, the SC35C is performing very well. It produces a very well defined soundstage. Soundstage is not the deepest I've heard and not the same depth as the 2MB but not that far away. Width of soundstage is equally on par with the 2MB. It is extremely easy to follow individual instruments in a complex piece of music I would say that a major bonus of the SC35C + JICO/S combo is lack of surface noise, it is far less prone to this problem than the Ortofon 2MB. Setup for the SC35C is less troublesome as well. I will detail my setup procedure at some point but for now let's just stick to the early stages of this experiment and enjoy the jormey. Lets have a look at costs for the Ortofon 2MB, prices seem to be around the £525 bracket whilst the Ortofon 2M Black LV250 top out at £1000ish. I will start to look into the LVB250 at some point, but let's remember we are at the beginning of our journey. The SC35C can be purchased for £100 -£200 delivered, and then there is the argument about mexican or american SC35C, I'll get into that again at some point into the future. The JICO SAS/B can be purchased for $252 (£196) or the JICO SAS/S for $349 (£271) + lets say £70 import duty so between £350 - £420 for a SC35C and a choice of stylii, still cheaper than £525 for the 2MB. The price of the SC35C + JICO combo is cheaper than the 2MB and then we have the very sticky subject of replacement Stylii for the 2MB which start at £435. So to conclude the SC35C/JICO combo is cheaper irrespective of whatever combo you purchase and the replacement stylii are also markedly cheaper. Now, are you holding onto your listening room chair seat, we are looking at £849 for a replacementy stylii for the Ortofon 2M LVB 250. So > £1K for the top of the range MM from Ortofon. I have not looked into other MM's from other companies, so maybe you could suggest something that topples the Ortofon offerings, PLEASE COMMENTS, LET'S MAKE THIS A DEBATE.

OK, enough for now, stay tuned....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Great comparison Andy with two very different cartridges. The SC35C - Jico SAS combo a mixture of vintage and new and a comparison with the stellar contemporary 2M black although this is about 12 years old now in design. For me I would not quibble on the small price differences but rather on the sonic presentation and ultimate performance and which cartridge delivers the most satisfying listening experience.

I don't know the SC35C but do know how great the Shure \ JICO SAS combos can sound but when I did have a comparison of the the M55e /JICO SAS Boron the 2M still edged it as it performed at just a higher more insightful and dynamic level. I guess its what your looking for in vinyl playback and what you judge to be the sound that you consider gives you the goosebumps plus the synergy with the system you have.

I always follow my heart rather than my head.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Jim, SC35C design is far older than 12 years old, 1970's I think, I'm thinking that design for MM's reached it's apex at some point in the 70's when various companies where trying to outdo each other. How much have things really moved on? Just out of interest the next thing towards the M55E might be the new M44 + JICO sas/b from JICO? I think the SC35C aces the M55E+ JICO/B combo by a margin. I remember that the M55E was an excellent cart and still really really miss mine, I'm still on the look out for a replacement but the SC35C just sounds better. It's hard to describe but the M55E sounds of it's time whilst the SC35C sounds modern in comparison and very very much like the 2MB, hence the experiment.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There is absolutely no way the Shure SC35C is comparable to the Shure V15. They were designed for different markets.
    The original V15 was later marketed as the M55E, after the V15 evolved to the Mk.II level.

The SC35C was designed from the outset to be a DJ cartridge able to withstand rough handling, if not back-cueing. The fact that it sounded 'good' caused it to be accepted and used by broadcasters.

I had an SC35C mounted in an EMT headshell, which would have been used by a broadcaster, quite possibly the BBC, who used both EMT decks as well as SC35C cartridges.

The Japanese love the Shure SC35C as well as the M3D cartridges, which is why both cartridges have come to the wider notice of audiophiles.

I can well believe a better profile stylus could be an improvement over the basic conical stylus of the SC35C.
    Barry

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I've been running the SC35C/Jico SAS/S (with Funk Firm Houdini) combo for a good few years now and think it's a fantastic pairing. For me, it sounds clean, detailed but not cold and quite neutral to me (if the recording sounds warm, that's what you hear, if it sounds cold, that's what you hear) with great seperation of instruments and well balanced from top to bottom. To me it kind of has a holographic nature to it...at least in my system.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread