+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1210 stock arm cartridge suitability?

I'm Loz.

Default 1210 stock arm cartridge suitability?

Hi folks

Just after a little advice on a suitable replacement cartridge for a stock arm on a 1210. I’m asking for my buddy who’s inherited one and wants to replace the Ortofon dj cartridge it currently has. He doesn’t want to go down the rabbit hole of tweeks. I think he would spend up to £150. He wants something that’s going to be relatively easy to set up. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Loz

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would recommend a fixed-coil cartridge (a.k.a MM). Searching the web I found a few that your friend might consider. All, save one, are less than £150.

Goldring E3 (Around £99)

Sumiko Rainier (£160)

Audio Technica VM320EB (£144)

Audio Technica VM520EB (£105)

Ortofon 2M Red (£99)

Nagaoka MP110 (£130)

I should add that I have absolutely no experience of any of the cartridges listed above, but are some that I might look at given the record deck and budget.

Hope it helps.
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

I have personal experience of the LP Gear (Audiotechnica) AT95 VL (https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGAT95VL.html).
    Very very good when I was using a stock arm in the SL1210 and it fits your m8's budget
    Always a little further

I'm Mike.

As above, any of the Audio Technic VM95 carts, I have the vm95en, it's great, in fact as good as carts 3 times the price, that's no exaggeration.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm jamie.

which cartridges would they be?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by karma1967 View Post
    which cartridges would they be?
    Well, my last cart before the VM95 and VM540 was the Nagoaka MP200, and while that 's been gone quite a while, I swear there is no major difference between the two in terms of SQ (in terms of presentation probably).
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Loz.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll pass it on.
    By the way, I have a spare Denon DL-110 in my box. Wonder if it's a good match?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    tried a 103 on mine, superficially impressive but a bit cartoonish, bold sketch of the music rather than detailed insight. It did not end up replacing a Nag MP50
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    tried a 103 on mine, superficially impressive but a bit cartoonish, bold sketch of the music rather than detailed insight. It did not end up replacing a Nag MP50
    Great description! I can fit it for him and he can see for himself.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    The DL-110 is suitable for the SL-1200/1210 arm, but it's not very refined. Worth a try though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast