+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OB DIY Project

I'm Geoff.

Default OB DIY Project

Has anyone any experience of this or similar?

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zms

See bottom for plans

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Has anyone any experience of this or similar?

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zms

See bottom for plans
    I have been experimenting with DIY open baffles for about 4 years and love them, but they are not the Decware version. Do you have any specific questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Geoff.

I'm a big fan of full range drivers. In fact, I currently own a pair of Omega Alnico full range speakers which sound excellent. I have been very impressed by the various open battle speakers I've heard in the past and would really like to try a pair at home. I see that the 15" drive units used in the Decware OB speakers are currently on sale for $400 a pair and that the plans for the baffles are available for $30. Unfortunately, my poor health and severe arthritis mean that I cannot construct the baffles myself. Does anyone know of a company that's able to produce a pair of battles to a high standard, probably out of birch ply rather than hardwood?

Tx

I'm Grant.

I'm a big fan of full range drivers. In fact, I currently own a pair of Omega Alnico full range speakers which sound excellent. I have been very impressed by the various open battle speakers I've heard in the past and would really like to try a pair at home. I see that the 15" drive units used in the Decware OB speakers are currently on sale for $400 a pair and that the plans for the baffles are available for $30. Unfortunately, my poor health and severe arthritis mean that I cannot construct the baffles myself. Does anyone know of a company that's able to produce a pair of battles to a high standard, probably out of birch ply rather than hardwood?

Tx
    still got my full range alnico speakers 2 sets. not to everyone's taste but i liked them. never tried open baffles tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Tx
    I have never heard the Lii Audio 15" full range drivers, but here is my 2 pence worth
    1. Lii audio have a big following on the internet, fuelled a little bit by 'giving away' new drivers to established builders who funnily enough always give rave reviews.
    2. Their specs for their drivers are often a work of fiction. There is a fair bit of criticism from builders, who have measured them.
    3. I have tried in vain on various forums to get existing users to give listener comparisons with established full range drivers, both new and vintage - nobody has yet offered an opinion. So where they sit on the audiophile scale is as yet unestablished.
    4. The term 'full range' is in the ear of the beholder. In open baffle the bass is naturally rolled off, particularly in modestly sized baffles like the Decware. Many users find the need to suppliment this driver with both a sub (not unusual with OBs) but also a tweeter
    5. It is optimistic to expect a whizzer to seemlessly blend with a 15" cone. Lowther had problems with a whizzer on just 8" drivers. Some users have remarked on a drop out in the upper midrange, which they correct with advanced crossovers. Lii Audio have indeed released more sophisticated 15" drivers, I guess to help correct these anomolies.
    6. You cannot buy Lii audio drivers sourced from the UK. Bare in mind you will need to add VAT and import duties to the price you see advertised from the distributer in Europe. There are also a lot of clone drivers out there claiming to be Lii Audio.

Have you thought about mounting your Omiga drivers in open baffles. If you are up to it, they can be mounted in cut down cardboard boxes to give you a taster.

Good luck, and if you are anywhere near Stansted airport you are most welcome to drop in and listen to mine.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I have never heard the Lii Audio 15" full range drivers, but here is my 2 pence worth
    1. Lii audio have a big following on the internet, fuelled a little bit by 'giving away' new drivers to established builders who funnily enough always give rave reviews.
    2. Their specs for their drivers are often a work of fiction. There is a fair bit of criticism from builders, who have measured them.
    3. I have tried in vain on various forums to get existing users to give listener comparisons with established full range drivers, both new and vintage - nobody has yet offered an opinion. So where they sit on the audiophile scale is as yet unestablished.
    4. The term 'full range' is in the ear of the beholder. In open baffle the bass is naturally rolled off, particularly in modestly sized baffles like the Decware. Many users find the need to suppliment this driver with both a sub (not unusual with OBs) but also a tweeter
    5. It is optimistic to expect a whizzer to seemlessly blend with a 15" cone. Lowther had problems with a whizzer on just 8" drivers. Some users have remarked on a drop out in the upper midrange, which they correct with advanced crossovers. Lii Audio have indeed released more sophisticated 15" drivers, I guess to help correct these anomolies.
    6. You cannot buy Lii audio drivers sourced from the UK. Bare in mind you will need to add VAT and import duties to the price you see advertised from the distributer in Europe. There are also a lot of clone drivers out there claiming to be Lii Audio.

Have you thought about mounting your Omiga drivers in open baffles. If you are up to it, they can be mounted in cut down cardboard boxes to give you a taster.

Good luck, and if you are anywhere near Stansted airport you are most welcome to drop in and listen to mine.
    I'm familiar with the limitations of full range driver units. Yes they can be a little shouty, and yes they tend to be rolled off in the treble, often soon after 16 kilohertz. However, I accept these limitations for the coherence of a point source driver. The Lil Song drivers in question are those used by Decware In their open baffle speakers and have received positive reviews from widely respected parties.

All things considered, I am willing to take a chance on buying unheard, conditional upon being able to get the battles made at a reasonable price. My only remaining uncertainty is whether to go for a 12 inch rather than a 15 inch driver.

Thanks for the offer of a demo. Unfortunately, I live on the edge of Sherwood Forest and I am unable to drive anymore due to my health problems. C'est la vie!

BTW. Cannibalising my Omega units for the drivers is not really an option. These are US$2000 speakers and are in mint condition.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/produc...nt=32172390732

I'm Chris.

These might be worth checking out if you have not noticed them. They are good value and a lick of paint on the front panels could enhance them considerable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285275381...cb27%7Ciid%3A1
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

These might be worth checking out if you have not noticed them. They are good value and a lick of paint on the front panels could enhance them considerable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285275381...cb27%7Ciid%3A1
    Interesting, I've actually been looking at the website and made an enquiry by email about open baffle frames. I will post any reply I get from Randy who hosts the site. I can't think what possessed the owner to go for the blood spatter colour scheme!

http://www.caintuckaudio.com/

I like the Maple 15 Baffe

http://www.caintuckaudio.com/Lii_15.html

I'm Geoff.

Any suggestions for the dimensions for an open baffle for a single full range driver of 15" diameter?
    Tx.

I'm Geoff.

I have been experimenting with DIY open baffles for about 4 years and love them, but they are not the Decware version. Do you have any specific questions?
    Painting in photo. Vietnam?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast