+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which pre

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Thanks for that, would it matter which of the variants of SP11?, it appears there are 3, a SP11, SP11 revised, and Mk II.

Just to show how technically inept I can be, having tracked down the odd photograph of the SP11, it seems that the pre takes it power feed from the power, I assume this can be replaced by some kind of power supply?
    Hi. I've not had direct personal experience of the variants, if indeed there are variants. It's a sad fact of audiophile life that some sellers, either with an over-active imagination, or perhaps to try and mislead through adding value, invent so called upgrades. I'm unclear if this is the case here though.

My suggestion would be to find the official Audio Research website and look for a vintage section and/or email them as to the product evolution of the SP11.

Incidentally, the SP11 is a two-box unit and what you might have thought was the power amp is in fact the power supply.

There is, as you can see, some 'homework' for you to do. Worth it though in the long run.

---//---
    Well, hello.

I'm Andy.

Try this link;

http://www.arcdb.ws/

I would also give consideration to the ARC LS15 unless you require a phono stage, and also the Modwright SWL 9.0, with either standard or Valve Rectified PS.

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    I would suggest sampling an NVA rig...AP80a integrated, or pre /power. Whatever folk say about the ol' muppet, his amps are bloody good, you simply won't find better SS at the price...IMO.

Amen.

I'm InSpace.

Well my suggestion would be a World Designs WDPre3 and it's associated PSU. These are available as a kit or fully built and tested, theres some info here:

http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/AmpKits.html

I'm hoping to get one myself in the near future and was thinking 'North Linconshire' is not far from me. I'd be happy to bring mine down to you for you try in your own system.

Have a look on the link above and see if this might interest you, alternatively, you could pop over to the WD forum and ask if there's anyone near you who has one. There are plenty of friendly and helpful folk on there.

Cheers,
    Mike.

*EDIT* I should add that I am very firmly of the opinion that WD products offer a level of performance that is WAY beyond their price point and put commercial products that are several times the price, well and truly to shame! And I am NOT joking!
    Last edited by Mike; 02-07-2008 at 19:15.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm ILOB.

If you willing to do down the passive route the music first is pretty special. Also consider the SAC Invincible Preamplifier The transformers are all hand wound and sounds amazing.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

I would also give consideration to the ARC LS15 unless you require a phono stage, and also the Modwright SWL 9.0, with either standard or Valve Rectified PS.
    I have been using a Modwright LS36.5 for the last week or so, and I have to admit its doing something rather special.

I'm Andy.

Hi Lurcher
    That's the pre I currently use and have done for the past 9 months. You are correct in that it does do 'something rather special'

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm InSpace.

I've heard it... Agreed!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

at that price I would expect it to be a pre amp, cook breakfast and wash the car on sunday.
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    at that price I would expect it to be a pre amp, cook breakfast and wash the car on sunday.
    Then perhaps I could nudge you in the direction of the WD option?

I'd be more than happy to build it for you, for the (IMHO) very resonable price of, err, nothing!... I really do enjoy that sort of thing!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast