+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which pre

I'll have a look into the WD, making generous gestures such as that could prove to be time consuming, especially when I thought a soldering iron was a leccy screwdriver.
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm InSpace.

Believe me... it is no idle offer. I would gladly let you hear 'mine' (I don't have one yet) first (hence the 'are you in a hurry'? question), and the performance of their gear is astonishing!

I openly admit that I have not heard a WD Pre3 yet, but it is widely acknowledged to be the 'jewel in the crown' of the range. I have NO qualms about buying one!

From what others who have built one have said, it would take little more than a weekend to get one up and running. And I really do enjoy this sort of stuff so much that I'd be more than happy to do the honours. Alternatively, WD will build one for you at a cost or £125 for the Pre-amp and £100 for the PSU.

I must stress though, that in all things HiFi, there is nothing like a home dem.

ATB
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

It really is a generous offer, when you have built yours let me know if the offer still stands, at some mutually agreable bribery level, and in the meantime i'll get over to the WD forum and see if any one more local has them.

I'm Rob.

I'd echo the recommendations for World Designs.
    I used their Pre II for a couple of years and still use the Phono II as I've not heard anything better.

The kits are great value if you can build them but you can buy them built and tested.

The transformer output on the Pre II gives it an advantage over many valve pre amps as it can drive long/capacitive cables or low input impedance power amps.

Quote Originally Posted by RobHolt View Post
    I'd echo the recommendations for World Designs.
    I used their Pre II for a couple of years and still use the Phono II as I've not heard anything better.

The kits are great value if you can build them but you can buy them built and tested.

The transformer output on the Pre II gives it an advantage over many valve pre amps as it can drive long/capacitive cables or low input impedance power amps.
    That's an interesting point, my room is laid out with the speakers on the 'end' wall and the kit on the other end wall, behind the main listening seat. It suits the room, but means i am using 10 metre + speaker leads. Would the WD drive I/C's of that length properly, allowing me to stand the monoblocks next to the speakers. If so would long I/C's and short speaker leads be better than long speaker leads and short I/C's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123