+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output

I'm Robert.

Still haven't done any mods to my 7520 besides opamp and MLC5/6 removal, but intend on sending it to Tirna for the dac/reg/cap mods and getting a 15V PSU at some point. I use headphones a lot so this seems like a good move, and if I get stuck Tirna can change it for me.

You can add me to the list too please.
    Rob

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I refer my learned friend to the opening line of this thread, "I drew up a discrete output stage for the TC-7520 and Caiman to hear how it would sound. Leo built a prototype of it on stripboard and I did one as a 'proper' PCB. I wanted to find a solution for the low output of the passive mod and preserve the headphone output capability, but didn't want to go overboard with a complex discrete opamp type design. "

In other words, if you are happy with the passive mod and it's output level, and don't need the headphone output, then you don't need this upgrade.
    As for caps and opamps for this PCB: feel free to improve on my choice.
    Thanks for that Stan, clears that one up perfectly!
    I'm not a headphone user, so will follow your advice and stick with the passive mod I've currently got.

Seems a great option for headphone users though...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jason.

I'd be interested in this too Stan, having just done the Passive mod and being an occasional headphone user!!

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I tried some other caps today and noticed a difference in tone, got to try and find some grey Rubycons now
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Garry.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I'll probably offer a fitting service for those who are worried about swapping the PCB by themselves.
    I think thats the one for me Stan , put me down for that when you are ready.

Best Regards
    Garry
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

Default Update on the discrete PCB

OK, the PCB factory and me have come to an agreement on the price of 100 pieces. So I have given the OK for it to be manufactured. ETA is October .

Hmm. Not sure I need the extra gain TBH, but it might be useful for some of the older and quieter (really quiet, not high dynamic range recordings) CDs when connecting direct to the poweramp.

Let's just say that I have very much undersold the performance of the discrete PCB .

Default Place order for discrete

So Stan

With you ordering 100 PCB's how do you propose we place our order with you

Is it first come first serve through AOS ?, or your website ?

Just wanting to make sure I get my hands on one
    Frizzup

I shall run down the thread from #1 and everyone who has shown an interest will be sent a PM with a link on it that is tied to the AoS website. So if you can't receive PM and are not a member of AoS you won't be able to access the AoS related page on my site . Copying and emailing the link to a friend won't work . That way I can give AoS members priority.

By the way , the product name for the discrete PCB is Gator...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast